a good message board??

• lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul
  • Loc: Ocala, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using hostultra.com for my host and they do not offer mysql for free and i was wondering if there was a good message board out there that does not require mysql? Thank you :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try YABB:

http://www.yabbforum.com/

It's a cgi-based forum written in perl that is very similar to this one, but does not require a database. It's very similar to this one in appearance and functionality. The only real requirement is that your host supports perl. Set up is moderately easy if you follow the instructions.

I've used it in the past and was comfortable with the performance.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.freesql.org/

http://www.wwits.net/board/board.phtml?BoardNumber=4

The 2nd you need to do a little research on, but the post is there!

Are a few to try! :D
  • FroSt
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Holland, Friesland, Sneek

Post 3+ Months Ago

THis might comin' handy 8)
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have tried freesql but i dont understand how it works lol...
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

you guys suggested freesql? and if i can have a forum threw that on my site. Then please give me instructions on how to use freesql heh thank you
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you lost soul. :D

I'll remove the other one now. Much appreciated.
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your welcome :D heh Just hope someone will read it and notice now :/ Trying to get my site up and going im not good at web design though this is my first site done by dreamweaver lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm working on a couple answers for you (sorta) I'll try to post shortly.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostsoul wrote:
you guys suggested freesql? and if i can have a forum threw that on my site. Then please give me instructions on how to use freesql heh thank you

Heres a start!

http://web-bureau.com/modules/sql.php

:D
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

the freesql i have no clue how to edit stuff or anything or the sort but thanks for the link.

is freesql done by ftp?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here goes:

Before you dive in trying to understand how to set up freeSQL, you really should do a little bit of reading around their website (and truthfully there's not a whole lot to read there). The first thing to note is the usage policies: http://www.freesql.org/policies.html .

Quote:
Here are the big 3 rules. Violators are subject to immediate deletion at my discretion without notice
You cannot resell access to FreeSQL resources
FreeSQL cannot be used to drive a commercial site (website or otherwise).
FreeSQL cannot be used to facilitate piracy of music, software or other copywritten material.
FreeSQL does not host any databases for phpBB, phpNuke, YABB, vBulletin or any other database intended to drive a prepackaged web based BBS
Other miscellaneous rules
People using excessive bandwidth or CPU time will be notified. "Excessive" is defined as affecting the performance enough to impact other users. I will attempt to accomodate all levels of use, but "power users" will probably be asked to move to another host (possibly my own commercial host :))
You are responsible for backing up all your data. If you require daily backups they are available for a nominal fee (I don't know what "nominal" is at the moment, but it will be very reasonable)
Note, these policies may change at any time

The first thing you need to realize is that freeSQL is not a forum script of any kind. It's a database hosted remotely. You'll still need to find good forum software, and as you notice in the policy that he has basically nixed some of the better and more popular ones.

The next thing to notice is that it appears the connections are designed to be used by PHP, Java or Perl, so you will need to verify that your host supports any of those and confirm that they also permit connection to an external database. http://www.freesql.org/connection.html (for reference)

Next, this is important. On the main page: http://www.freesql.org/
Quote:
Your Database is not gone! Restore it here
Once I hit the magic number of 13000 active databases, the server slows to a crawl. Sorry this is necessary!

He's already up to hosting 11,103 databases as of this post. The way I'm reading that, is that after he gets to 13000 he starts pruning databases. I'm assuming he starts with inactive ones, but he's not very specific. You may find one day that your database isn't working anymore. He also charges for backups. He provides no instructions other than the connection info.

At this point, there's very little that I see on that site that would encourage me to use it. My suggestion would be research other alternatives. The YABB link I offered earlier requires no database -- just Perl support (and most hosts even free ones offer that). The HTML for that board is already written for you. The biggest thing you need to do is read the instructions carefully to edit one file for the correct path to perl and the path to sendmail. Other than that most beginners should be able to handle it with careful reading and a little bit of thought.

Good luck
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

im currently uploading yabb to my host hopefully all goes well :/ If it does not work on my host i simply need a new host i like mine though because unlimited storage and bandwidth :/ cant find anything like
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember that just uploading the files won't make the board work. It's been over a year since I last looked, but if I recall the setup instructions correctly, there is one file you have to edited to get the above mentioned paths correct. If you don't already know them you may need to check with your host. The instructions give you specifics on what needs modified. Once all the paths are correct the board works without a hitch.

Although I don't use it anymore here's a working example of the board for you: http://thehelpdesk.atnopro.com (i.e. don't waste your time posting there, I hardly look at it anymore. I'm not even sure why I left it up.)

Good luck
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm its not going to work for me :/ i don't understand this stuff my server does not allow chmoding heh you sugest any hosts? that have decent storage/bandwidth and offer the stuff i need for free?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not for free. No. Sorry. I gave up on those a couple years ago and bit the bullet and spend about $25 a month for my own space. I also know a couple for around $20 a month.

I can recommend a place that offers all the support necessary for hosting a board just like this one for $20 a month. If you can't find anything free and you're interested, PM me and I'll give you more details.
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well people who use my host have fusion news on their site... if they can have that cant they have yabb?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that the difference is that users of fusion news don't need to change anything there (in other words write to any files). The permissions for the cgi-bin are probably by default set to read-only. But for a forum script, users need the ability to write to it (so posts can be revised), so the chmod needs to be set to 755 or 777 (if I remember correctly). So if your host won't let you do that, then it's a no go. You should check with your host first and see if there is an option to do the chmod before you give up on it. If you can't do it, maybe they can.
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i found something that will do for now :/ http://www.proboards.com/index.html What do you think yes/no?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks pretty good at first glance. The support board gives a decent example and looks very similar to YABB. A good place to start is always the TOS (Terms of Service). I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling you may be under 18. You may need to follow instructions to get your parent's permission to use it if that is the case. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I just took a guess at your probable age:

http://www.proboards.com/Information-Te ... rvice.html
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh boy do i act that immature :oops: lol

I have the board on my site now but it does not have the sticky option :/ that is not to good :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- I take that to mean apologies are in order. I didn't look at your profile or other posts, but we do have several members under 18 and given your questions, I obviously assumed wrong *lol

As far as the stickey option? If the board works for you...go for it...fix that later.
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh no need to apologize i am under 18 i meant for that remark to be a joke of some sort :wink: lol i need to stop acting like a child if it is noticable :P i am 16 just to let ya know
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.hostboard.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts