Good News for Flash

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adobe has made Flash indexable and has sent information to both Google and Yahoo.

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/07/01/1220232.shtml

I guess this means Flash websites won't need an HTML version anymore.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoa. This is big.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very big. Nice.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it this will be good news for Alaron Nuclear? lol
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow ... this is really cool ...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I take it this will be good news for Alaron Nuclear? lol

Exactly what I was thinking. I spent a good deal of time yesterday thinking about how I was going to work around this for my new version of the site.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I want to know is whether the crawling is only skin deep, or if it will also discover content loaded at runtime such as XML & other SWFs.

If it's only skin deep, or it can't meaningfully crawl dynamic content this is next to useless. By meaningfully, I mean it's able to apply context to the dynamic content & doesn't just consider the whole thing a single page.

This is going to force flash sites to provide flash-to-browser navigation bridges such as the stuff you see at 2advanced.com and the like to be of much use to visitors. I can see people giving up on a site and going to a specific page on a HTML only site if the search engine just dumps them off at the beginning of a flash site and forces them to find exactly what they're looking for themselves.

It sounds cool, but I don't think it's anything too get excited about, yet. :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... exing.html

Quote:
Q: What are the current technical limitations of Google's ability to index Flash?
There are three main limitations at present, and we are already working on resolving them:

1. Googlebot does not execute some types of JavaScript. So if your web page loads a Flash file via JavaScript, Google may not be aware of that Flash file, in which case it will not be indexed.

2. We currently do not attach content from external resources that are loaded by your Flash files. If your Flash file loads an HTML file, an XML file, another SWF file, etc., Google will separately index that resource, but it will not yet be considered to be part of the content in your Flash file.

3. While we are able to index Flash in almost all of the languages found on the web, currently there are difficulties with Flash content written in bidirectional languages. Until this is fixed, we will be unable to index Hebrew language or Arabic language content from Flash files.

Number two could potentially destroy navigation elements if it makes those seprately indexed resources individual results. Think frames, but harder to work around.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
1. Googlebot does not execute some types of JavaScript. So if your web page loads a Flash file via JavaScript, Google may not be aware of that Flash file, in which case it will not be indexed.

Does this mean SWFObject is out of the question now?

Quote:
There are three main limitations at present, and we are already working on resolving them

I suppose that's promising..
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Does this mean SWFObject is out of the question now?

Good question.
I'm assuming by "some types" they mean anything not provided by Adobe untill I find something that says otherwise.
I bet the Internet Explorer team has a nice big grin if that's the case.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm so it will index content separately for each swf... So those of us who dynamically load content into a shell will see virtually no benefit. What user wants to reach a swf without any navigation or context. Worse yet what does a user do when they reach a url that ends in .swf and they don't have the proper html/js handler for the plugin?

Don't get me wrong I'm all for searchability in flash, but this seems like a step backward. I'm afraid users are going to become annoyed with search results that bring up an orphaned swf.
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

that would be a good news that google find a solutions on how to optimize a flash site.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is awesome news, but also could potentially be a problem, I could attach a flash file filled with keywords and a size or 1px x 1px on my page multiple times to increase keyword density
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
This is awesome news, but also could potentially be a problem, I could attach a flash file filled with keywords and a size or 1px x 1px on my page multiple times to increase keyword density

I think it's safe to assume the same anti-spam technology is applied to content found in Flash files as is applied to non-flash content.
  • saltedm8
  • saltedm8

Post 3+ Months Ago

as far as i am aware, now correct me if i am wrong, but the problem is not that a flash website is not indexable, the problem is that the search spiders cannot read your content and therefore cannot give you a search rating
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doh there goes my excuse to avoid Flash because its non indexable.. ;)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Doh there goes my excuse to avoid Flash because its non indexable.. ;)

Same here ... I'm not too fond of using flash anyway ... not sure why ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts