A good way to learn php / website design, etc

• sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The way I learned (and I'm still learning, and as long as there are "updates" and "improved technology" we're all going to be), was by taking apart joomla themes and rearranging, altering, adding, etc.

I set up a personal website and installed joomla (I actually have one site that I installed it that never gets used, and is only a back up version). I began taking basic themes and adding them to the "working" installation. I would remove code that was associated with areas that I wanted to change, then look to see what the change made the page look like (I can't tell you the number of syntax errors I can now recite from memory).

After you have a fairly well understanding of the main index.php page of a basic theme and how it works for you (how and where it calls information from .css, .js, etc) and what part the main joomla index.php plays in it, then you can begin moving up to more complicated themes in steps. Once you do, you'll soon be writing and designing your own CM based sites.

This doesn't just familiarize you with an understanding joomla software, but also the foundations and building blocks of using .php for any web design is there.

Just thought I would share what worked for me.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

trial and error is the key, figure out how it works. I am doing the same with clip bucket right now, just tweaking part by part figuring out what is where.

But like anything trail and error is the key.
  • lojogroup
  • lojogroup
  • Loc: Rocklin, Sacramento, CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As PHP is a open source there is huge options available online learn PHP updates and latest in PHP. Trying and rearranging are tips to learn more.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just googled clip bucket, Zealous. Are you learning it to run your own video site, or to design themes for it?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both actually, but for now just playing with it. Just working on a angrybirdstube lol :P

But good software if you have the unique content.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts