Google to remove H.264 codec support from Chrome

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like websites utilizing the HTML5 <video> tag will need to make a few changes to their content in the next couple of months if they're currently serving up H.264 video content:

Quote:
...we are changing Chrome’s HTML5 <video> support to make it consistent with the codecs already supported by the open Chromium project. Specifically, we are supporting the WebM (VP8) and Theora video codecs, and will consider adding support for other high-quality open codecs in the future. Though H.264 plays an important role in video, as our goal is to enable open innovation, support for the codec will be removed and our resources directed towards completely open codec technologies.

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/html-v ... hrome.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

That kinda sucks but if anyone is serving up HTML5 video now they should be serving multiple formats anyway. At the bare minimum we should be serving H.264 (Safari/Safari Mobile/IE9), OGG Theora (Chrome, Opera, FireFox) and WebM (Browsers of the Future). I also tend to think everyone should include an FLV as a backup as well but that seems optional.

I feel like all the browsers are moving toward WebM support and maybe Chrome is just leading the charge.

I might be crazy but I just don't see what the big deal is with this news since Chrome still supports Theora so its not as if they dropped support for all the standard stuff and anyone doing half way decent HTML5 video should have been providing that anyway.

Kroc Camen has a pretty good solution called Video for Everybody that uses multiple formats so all devices/browsers get a video.
  • iliya428
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google is going the right way. They remember that proprietary codecs always fails to conquer the world (wmv, quicktime, flv).
  • kevinlee2010
  • Born
  • Born
  • kevinlee2010

Post 3+ Months Ago

what's the benefit of webM? when will HTML5 become a standard?
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

kevinlee2010 wrote:
what's the benefit of webM? when will HTML5 become a standard?

I don't know much about webM, but HTML5 is estimated to become standard by 2022 assuming the same mistakes aren't made as they were with HTML in the 90s. Check this article: http :/ /blogs DOT techrepublic DOT com / programming-and-development / ?p=718

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts