I've had a revelation . . .

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, so this is probably a simple concept, but I just got it this morning.

If you, as a web designer, don't specify a particular parameter, the browser is going to render it however it wants to. For instance, unless you specifically set how many pixels you want your font to be, the browser will draw it however the heck it wants to draw it .

This makes it so much easier to make the pages look consistent across different browsers.

Yes, you can laugh, I give you permission. :lol: I'm just so happy to have finally realized this.

*Baby steps to the door, baby steps to the elevator . . .* :lol:

Mark
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It appears that you just discovered the "Cascade"... *smiles

From the w3schools:

Quote:
Multiple Styles Will Cascade Into One
Style Sheets allow style information to be specified in many ways. Styles can be specified inside a single HTML element, inside the <head> element of an HTML page, or in an external CSS file. Even multiple external Style Sheets can be referenced inside a single HTML document.

Cascading Order
What style will be used when there is more than one style specified for an HTML element?

Generally speaking we can say that all the styles will "cascade" into a new "virtual" Style Sheet by the following rules, where number four has the highest priority:

Browser default
External Style Sheet
Internal Style Sheet (inside the <head> tag)
Inline Style (inside HTML element)
So, an inline style (inside an HTML element) has the highest priority, which means that it will override every style declared inside the <head> tag, in an external style sheet, and in a browser (a default value).

Keep in mind that the "user" not the browser has control of the way a browser displays. If the user has changed text settings or link colors, background color, etc -- you can't ever be 100% sure what it is they will be seeing. Hence, it's probably a best practice to define all elements.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you know where to find the default style sheets for Mozilla and IE?

J.I.C. You are also curious. I found the Mozilla default styel sheet. See this thread: http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/mozilla-mac-t21391.html

(well worth the read)
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjmthezonenet wrote:

evidently not, because i'm not sure what you mean. I know how to view the style sheets for a given page, but i was not aware that the browsers themselves had style sheets.

mark
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't claim to know IE has a default style sheet. Mozilla does--I've seen it--but, unfortunately, I never thought to keep track of where it was. (Google hasn't helped.)
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I created a personal portfolio site, not for public use, only for those I direct to it, and did all I could to ensure the font size etc was predetermined, as the page turned it to mince if the font changed in any way. The text fits into a table within graphics, so I had to try ensure they didn't get pushed out of place by the text enlarging or anything. I was only partially successful. Changing the text size in IE's View menu has no effect on it but doing that in Netscape and Mozilla does, to my annoyance. Perhaps too, if the user uses their own style sheet it will still change the font but at least in IE, it doesn't. However, unless someone actually chooses to do that, it's fine. I could have made the text a graphic, actually, as there is very little of it where size matters. I will probably change it to a graphic at some point, for that reason.

However, my real point for this reply is...
For a site I did for a university, I did quite the opposite, I ensured that all text could be changed in font style, colour and size to ensure the site came into line with accessibility issues and is compliant with the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act - SENDA (http://www.ukcle.ac.uk/directions/issue4/senda.html), the Human Rights Act and the Disability Discrimination Act here in UK, to avoid the university being sued for making their site inaccessible to the disabled, who may need to make changes to how a page is displayed.

E.G. recommendations are...
Use <strong> in place of <b > (bold) and <em> in place of <i> (italic).
Do not use absolute sizes, as this locks the font size in some browsers, as does the use of sizes given in measurements other than ems, making it impossible for visually impaired users to alter the size of the text.

If creating a site for the public, it's best to bear this in mind, no matter what country you are in, as anyone disabled, from any country can sue a company in any other country too for not making their site accessible in this way.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

cerio wrote:
Changing the text size in IE's View menu has no effect on it but doing that in Netscape and Mozilla does, to my annoyance.

Mozilla added that feature after many requests and its not a bad idea. If all browsers had full font control, it would lessen the risk web sites face from accessibility lawsuits.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

cerio - I fixed it for you. All you had to do was disable html for your post.
  • LazyJim
  • Student
  • Student
  • LazyJim

Post 3+ Months Ago

If IE worked correctly (resized all text) as the W3C recommends then no-one would have a problem resizing text...

And if a user needs large text in order to read, they can use a text-only browser or text-to-speach converter - instead of thowing law suits around left right and center!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

allgoodpeople wrote:

this is what i thought of when i read your post:
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
allgoodpeople wrote:

this is what i thought of when i read your post:

yes! that is exactly the right emoticon for my post *lol*
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjmthezonenet wrote:

I'm still looking for these as I have time. I'm curious to see them, too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts