HELP! - Can we make images not downloadable? (Unsavable)

• roxas
  • Born
  • Born
  • roxas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Can someone help me out? Is there a code we can put in our html docs that would me the images unsavable or not downloadable?

I kow i could create some sort of flash gallery but i dont have that much time... is there some sort of quick code I can use?

Thanks
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are little things you could do to deter people from downloading, such as disabling right click, but they are not very effective and annoy most users.

Basically, if it can be seen on screen, it can be stolen.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

the no-right cick script works on 'newbie' internet users, but they can always just save the entire page, and then the images are saved with the page, so it's basically impossible to stop people from stealing your images ... adding a watermark should be tougher to get around though ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding watermarks is the only way to prevent people from using your image as their own, as r_t says. Or at least to discourage them, because if someone really wants the picture, a bit of image manipulation will clean it up just fine.... Still they will make the job tougher and discourage most users - just be careful to not make watermarks too obtrusive, as they can detract from the overall impression your image gives.

If you insert the image into the css code as a background, instead of inserting it in HTML as 'img src', people will not have the option to save it on right-click - so you don't need any special code to disable the right-click option. But don't forget that if people really want an image, they will either save the file (again as r_t pointed out) or will simply press the 'print screen' button and save the image that way..... so the only way to truly protect something is not to put it on the web.

Of course IPR protection agencies will look after your rights, and if you find people using your pictures illegitimately there is legal action you can take - but all in all the web is a free medium, and doesn't fit well with restrictions..................
  • roxas
  • Born
  • Born
  • roxas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah well.... figured there wasn't much to do for this.
Thanks for all your tips!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts