Help... fine in IE, mince in Netscape and Mozilla... why?

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I seem to be overlooking something and I'm flumoxed.

If you check http://astrellaodesign.mysite.freeserve.com/
you will find that the pages Design, Models, Scenic and Contact, from the menu, although displaying perfectly in IE, are wrong in Netscape and Mozilla. The menu cells don't line up with the edge of the top image in those pages. If I adjust them to look ok in Netscape and Mozilla, they don't line up in IE. The other pages line up fine in all three browsers.

I'm sure it's something glaringly obvious but, being kinda new to all this, I haven't a clue why it differs or how to fix it. Can anyone tell me the solution, please?

I despair!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may or may not be the cause, but probably is - in line 80 on the design page change the cellspacing to 0 instead of 2:

You have:
Code: [ Select ]
<td width="44%"><table width="100%" align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" bordercolor="BFD4CD">

I didn't check the other pages, but you probably have something similar in them.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
sadly, that doesn't seem to be the cause. The cell spacing of 2 is just to shunt the thumbnails a tad further over from the menu, it is set to 2 in all pages with thumbnails and some of them display fine in Netscape while some don't.

I tried setting it to 0, just to test it, but it made no difference to the lining up of the menu cells with the top image edge. It still displays pages fine in IE and some fine, some not in the other 2.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

When it loads in Firefox I can see the table cells develop for where the spacer image is supposed to be, but the image doesn't show. There must be something with the spacing or padding that's causing it. Technically it looks like the structure is correct. --- I just looked at the pages again. Not sure what you did, but they all work just fine in Firefox now.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yay! I solved it!

I had made the first two cells to the left of main section of the page (ie the menu cells and the little graphic line cells adjacent to them) with specific sizes and the larger cell to the right of them in percentage. I went back and made the percentage cell into a specific size (absolute?) to ensure all three made up the exact width of the page. All pages now display properly in all three browsers.

Phew!
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
thanks for checking that for me. I've never heard of Firefox. My solution to the Mozilla and Netscape problem must have sorted it out there too.

Thanks again.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firefox is a streamlined version of Mozilla - very efficient browser.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts