Help With Music Player

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a client I'm doing a site for and they want to have some music playing, against my advice. The thing is, they don't want the music to stop even if you go to a new page. And the site isn't going to be in Flash. I may include some, but the site will be CSS with a dash of Flash. My question is what is the best route to take. I thought about having the player as a separate pop-up. But I know a lot of people use pop-up blockers, me included. She has a total of 4 songs that she wants to continuously loop throughout all the pages. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you'd run into more issues with pop ups than you'd like. I'd suggest having the music run on the entrance page and then load the rest of the site pages in an iframe on the main page.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm not shooting it down, but I thought iframes were bad?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

iFrames aren't a bad solution. I think most that "hate" frames are referencing sites built in frames. iframes doesn't have that bad of a stigma and there are situations where they are appropriate. This is probably one of them.

I would suggest however, that many people find music that they have no "control" over highly annoying. I would advise you to suggest to your client that they add player controls and give the visitor the chance to choose whether to listen to the music or not.

Why? Not everyone has the same taste in music. If I'm "stuck" on a site and can't nix music I don't like, I don't care how interesting the site is, I'm out of there.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much again. I think your idea is the only way to avoid doing this in Flash. So I will just add a small flash player to the main page and put the others in an iframe. Because I had read so many negative things about them, I never took the time to learn how to use them (iframes) properly. Gotta do some reading. Well thanks again for all your help!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
If I'm "stuck" on a site and can't nix music I don't like, I don't care how interesting the site is, I'm out of there.

exactly. with a quickness >.<
  • youdeweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Music,every page..
They don't care user experience, frame fine for them.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts