Help with resize for Flash site.

• bbassir
  • Born
  • Born
  • bbassir

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have just recently built and posted a Flash 5.0 built website. It has javascript pop-up windows (in case this helps with identifying the problem).

The PROBLEM is that I have set the site not to resize using both the allowscale: false FS Command in Flash as well as "Match pixel size" and "exact fit" html publish settings. The site works exactly how I want it to using my Mac which run IE 5.1. HOWEVER, it distorts and stretches when I view the site on my PC which is running IE 6. If anyone could lend me a hand I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

P.S. you can view the site at http://www.XclamationDesigns.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may have a better chance of getting a response for this in the coding/programming topic.

Perhaps you need something to go in the head of the document?

my guess is that
Code: [ Select ]
A HREF=javascript:openNewWindow('something')
is the problem why it is not opening on other browsers, but thats just a guess.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

for all your popups, change resizable=1 to resizable=0. That will keep the popup windows from being able to be resized manually.

As for the main site, you have the object opening tag outside the main table, so IE is acting incorrectly. Your site works fine in FireFox.

All you need to do is change
<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

<TABLE WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
<TR><TD WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" ALIGN="center" VALIGN="middle">
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
<WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500>
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="index.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high RESIZE=no> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#000000> <EMBED src="index.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#000000 WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
</OBJECT>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
  1. <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
  2. <TABLE WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
  3. <TR><TD WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" ALIGN="center" VALIGN="middle">
  4. codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
  5. <WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500>
  6. <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="index.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high RESIZE=no> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#000000> <EMBED src="index.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#000000 WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
  7. </OBJECT>
  8. </TD></TR>
  9. </TABLE>

to
<TABLE WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
<TR><TD WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" ALIGN="center" VALIGN="middle"> <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
<WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500>
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="index.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high RESIZE=no> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#000000> <EMBED src="index.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#000000 WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
</OBJECT>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
  1. <TABLE WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
  2. <TR><TD WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" ALIGN="center" VALIGN="middle"> <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
  3. codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
  4. <WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500>
  5. <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="index.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high RESIZE=no> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#000000> <EMBED src="index.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#000000 WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=500 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
  6. </OBJECT>
  7. </TD></TR>
  8. </TABLE>
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The following is off-topic but you absolutely must pay attention, bbassir:

Your site is horrible for many reasons:

1. I have to download an 846 kilobyte flash file to view it. Your starting page should give information that grabs the user's attention so that they find your site interesting. You shouldn't have a starting page that's more than 30-40 kilobytes in textual content, and even then that's being too liberal.

2. When it finally does load, I'm confronted with mystery meat navigation. You give no indication of where the navigation is; all that I know how to do is contact you. Only by accidentally putting my mouse over your little squares (which give no clues to the user that they're navigation) do I discover that there is navigation at all .

3. When the user finally figures out that it's navigation, it is still mystery meat navigation. The user has to mouse over every square slowly, one-by-one, in order to know what the navigation points to.

4. Then you have your résumé (if you're going to accent one e in résumé, you might as well get both). In your résumé, this time you use mystery meat content. The user has to mouse over the boxes to read! Rediculous! Even more rediculous is that by then, (if the user reaches your résumé at all, which is very unlikely) the user has learned that colored squares are links. So he tries to click on them, and nothing happens.

5. At certain points, you have the boxed letters E P A R at the top left (which again, give no indication that they are links). If the user does inadvertently hover over them, he'll find it. But then, some of the boxes deceive the user into thinking they'll link somewhere, but when the user clicks, nothing happens.

6. You probably meant "tracks," not "tracts," on your résumé.

7. When it comes to Web design, you may have completed a track at Whatcom (and you are a good designer, too), but you badly need to learn some things about accessibility, usability, and human-computer interaction.

The most important parts to fix are the rediculously humungous file size (split the flash into separate files, so that the main page is about 15 KB and others are small too, like http://www.homestarrunner.com/ does) and to remove all mystery meat navigation and mystery meat content.

[edit: replacing that navigation / content with something that the user can recognize as navigation, in which the links explicitly tell what they're pointing to without having to hover.]
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey sam hughes, was all that really necessary? I think he wanted a solution, not a website review.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it was necessary.

His website requires nearly a megabyte download.

I'm not in the business of only giving answers people ask for; what would you do when a suicidal person asks you how to turn the safety off?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes - I don't appreciate your tone nor your approach to helping
this person. it was very unnecessary, and extremely unprofessional
of you to post using extra-large text and bold. You are more than
welcome to give your opinion, but how about we do it in a fashion that
garners respect and professionalism? Your example is not befitting of
how we like to do things here at ozzu.

He has a problem with his site, he didn't ask for a review. If he
want's to provide a 100mb download for his site: remember it's HIS site.
Quote:
what would you do when a suicidal person asks you how to turn the safety off?

this is irrelevant, and not even close to a valid metaphor. Please keep
things on topic and refrain from using over-the-top comparisons. Suicide
is far more serious a matter than a web design.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

P.S. I've editted your post for you.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about that.

I was letting my inability to allow people to bathe in possible ignorance get to me! :evil:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

again, unnecessary comments. I really do appreciate the effort you've
put into helping him right his wrongs in the world of web design, that is
precisely why ozzu exists. And if you continued this effort with everyone
you tried to help, you will be an invaluble asset to our community. I'm
only criticizing your delivery as we like to be diplomatic and friendly; it
keeps the positivity up.

Just be friendly and helpful, and we have no problem. :)
  • bbassir
  • Born
  • Born
  • bbassir

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: Wow. Where to begin? Unflux, Vladdrac thank you for your assistance in the matter. Thank you Unflux for pointing me in the direction of the <object> tag, after ungarbling that mess the site works as well as my feeble mind and ability allows it.

Which brings me to Sam. You, my good, sir are quite the firecracker. Kudos to you and the brass that allows you to feel so uninhibited to speak that freely to someone you don't know. It’s actually a very admirable trait, but like all things it has its place. I'm truly sorry that my site inconvenienced you, and intrigued at how out of sorts it made you. Your comments bordered on that fine line between rant and critique.

However, I found your argument valid.

Mystery Meat Navigation:
It was my assumption that on the opening page a person would be inclined to investigate the moving, colored squares that reside on the stationary, black and white field. In fact all of the people I've shown the site have figured out almost immediately that those colored squares were indeed buttons that took you to the various sections of the portfolio. Not to say someone couldn't be confused, but I find that particular aspect of the site low risk.

Once inside one of the four portfolio sections I find it hard to believe that someone could get lost, taking into account the navigation tabs located at the bottom of the site. Since you did not mention the "number system" navigation I have in place that takes you from project to project, I will take it that you find that (as do I) self explanatory.

I concur with you that E P A R is confusing. I was more interested in getting the site up rather than refined. It has been my intention from the beginning to replace these letters with corresponding graphics. I assure you this will be rectified.

Much to my dismay, I do see your point about the resume (I will put the accent on the other "e" (I plead ignorance)) navigation being confusing. Unfortunately, I'm lacking a concept to remedy the problem as I think you are as well (its my understanding that if you had any idea you wouldn't have hesitated to write it down).

Tracts vs Tracks:
Indeed I did really mean tracks not tracts, as I am sure you meant "ridiculous" not "rediculous," and "humongous" not "humungous."

School Pride Burn:
I am in absolute agreement with you that I "badly" need to learn some things about web design in terms of accessibility, usability, and human-computer interaction. However, I thought that is what I was doing by designing websites, asking questions via online forum, and having my education mocked and design work spat on by someone lacking proper social etiquette and boundaries.

What Business Are You In?:
[quote]I'm not in the business of only giving answers people ask for; what would you do when a suicidal person asks you how to turn the safety off?[/quote]
[i][b]-What?[/b][/i]

It is my feeling that you have some very valid points, especially about the one topic I have not covered yet: file size. I, unfortunately, have no idea what you mean by breaking my site up. Do you mean have separate .fla files rather than having one .fla file broken up into different scenes? And being a newbie to web design I am unfamiliar with the guidelines for file sizes. How big should an entire website be? I am assuming you have read some books and things that make you veritable expert that you are. If you would be so inclined to list some good reads I would love to follow suite.

It’s not your arguments that are your flaw. I can see that you have a very analytical brain and the slightly unnerving passion to express your opinion most concisely. Your flaw is your demeaning, and condescending inflection. No one likes to be talked down to. Especially by someone who offers no credentials or even their own website for critique. Furthermore, to imply that I bask (though I know you said bathe) in my own ignorance is "ridiculous." I grow from the same heap of ignorance that everyone stems from. I do concede, however, that this simple fact can be lost to those too intoxicated and belligerent on their own arrogance.

~Best of luck in the future

bbassir
http://www.XclamationDesigns.com
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh my....lol

will be looking forward to seeing your finished design bb

//err, speaking of sizing errors, is anyone else getting some weird looking tables in this particular thread?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope, they looked exactly like other pages, and.. really. looks great, no breakage or misalignment on my 5 browsers :/
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a problem with the table, but it's fixed now.

I disabled HTML in bbassir's post and that fixed it.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yah. I don't mean to be be an unjustly-condescending-sounding prick; it just happens that way. Sorry. (unjustly refers to condescending, not sounding) I do not feel condescending by the way until a day later.

By splitting up the flash files, I mean having each section of the flash file be put into separate files (pointed to by separate HTML files), so that when you move between them, the links actually bring the browser to a separate URL. This will make the initial load lesser, so that visitors do not become impatient, and that way if you want to say, refer somebody to your résumé, you can point them *directly* to http://www.server.example/resume.html and they don't have to download everything and try to navigate through your site to find it.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
Yah. I don't mean to be be an unjustly-condescending-sounding prick; it just happens that way. Sorry. (unjustly refers to condescending, not sounding) I do not feel condescending by the way until a day later.

By splitting up the flash files, I mean having each section of the flash file be put into separate files (pointed to by separate HTML files), so that when you move between them, the links actually bring the browser to a separate URL. This will make the initial load lesser, so that visitors do not become impatient, and that way if you want to say, refer somebody to your résumé, you can point them *directly* to http://www.server.example/resume.html and they don't have to download everything and try to navigate through your site to find it.

theres a skip intro button. the site is small. he only asked for help with his flash.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:
theres a skip intro button.

The skip intro button does nto become an option until after the file is finished loading.

Foxy wrote:
the site is small.

Eight hundred something kilobytes is not particularly small.

Foxy wrote:
he only asked for help with his flash.

My advice pertains to the Flash. It is not what the other poster asked for, but if he does not want it, he can ignore it; it is free.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's enough of that, folks.

bbassir seems to have fixed his/her problem.

//locked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts