Help with site cost

• AngEyes18
  • Born
  • Born
  • AngEyes18

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Everyone - I am completely new to this forum, so I hope I am not violating any rules by asking this question. I have been asked to create a website for a medium sized business, and have absolutely NO idea what to charge. This is the first website that I will have designed for a client. Can you all help me determine a price?

MY EXPERIENCE - I have never been to school for web design or any design for that matter. I have built 5-6 websites, including a large e-commerce website for a family member of about 400 pages, however all the experience I have is from creation of my own personal sites, until now. Im located in Peoria, ILLINOIS

WHAT I KNOW - The company is on a budget and hiring me because they know I am experienced, but do not have the formal skill set that students or professionals would have. So I know they expect my quote to come in lower. They want this quoted AS A JOB. Not hourly. However my intention is to figure out how many hours I think I need to complete the job and multiply it by an hourly rate to end up with an overall job cost. This is a ground up design, NOT a redesign.

SPECIFICATIONS -
- HTML, PHP, ASP, CSS, JAVA Script and DHTML coding.
- The site will be roughly 60 pages.
- It will utilize a CMS.
- 3 initial layout options to choose from
- 6 custom company logo options to choose from
- 40 images of royalty- free stock images
- Custom editing of website images and 2 revisions to each custom edited photo (Photoshop editing)
- Some custom graphic work (estimated at about 15 hours)
- 9 meetings with the client to discuss project, plan, implement, discuss content etc.
- Light SEO including search engine submission, Naturalized SEO, and other simple SEO techniques
- 4 week free maintenance period for problems pertaining to code only.

Because I have so much to learn regarding this site, and because it is rather large, I have estimated it to take me around 250 hours. Does that sound ridiculous!?!

I need so much help! I dont want to sell my soul and way undercut myself, but I dont want to be overpriced for my skill set either. CAN YOU GUYS HELP!!??? Give me an idea of what you think is a reasonable amount for this job?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Calculate by the day. It's a lot easier. 250 hours is approximately 30 days. If you wanted $200 per day, that would be $6,000 dollars. For a 60 page interactive web site, that's a fair price. Make sure you take at least 1/3 deposit, 1/3 at the half way mark & 1/3 upon completion.

Tip: If you run into problems during the job, find a wiz kid & offer him a hundred or two to help you. I did that once when I needed help with a network upgrade. It was a life saver.

Edit: Don't promise any SEO results.
  • AngEyes18
  • Born
  • Born
  • AngEyes18

Post 3+ Months Ago

The good thing is that this is my husband's company that he works for and he is a senior network engineer, so he will be helping me along the way when I run into snags. as he is also fairly proficient with web design.

I am surprised to hear 6000.00! I was thinking 4400.00 in my head and was afraid that I was WAY too high.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you were too high. You were selling yourself short, in your post. Put the bid in for $6,000.00 If they tell you that they have someone for less, tell them to go with the other person.
  • Abdussamad
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am curious. How can it be both php and asp? Usually its one or the other.
  • bilhasry4you
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bilhasry4you

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, php uses apache
and asp uses .net
uhm, i think it's about the curious spec

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts