Help with Streaming Audio

• StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
I am going to design this website for a band but the site needs to have streaming audio of the songs. I would like to have available at least two of windows media, quicktime, or real player. However, I have not done any streaming media content on websites before and have virtually no knowledge at all about how to set this up. I don't want something that involves a lot of programming or whatever with SDK's because that stuff confuses me.

i have searched the forums and can't find very much stuff on this topic, either.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

"For lengthy, hi-fidelity audio segments, you should use what's known as "streaming" audio. In streaming audio, the sound data starts playing as it arrives at your computer. Your Web audience doesn't have to wait for the whole gazzillabyte sound file to download before a rock concert plays back or a talk show starts, for example. Unfortunately, streaming audio is complicated. It often requires special sound-file servers, uses specialized compression, and requires rigorous sound editing and other heavy stuff."
-http://www.efuse.com/Build/web-audio-basics.html

Also: http://www.current.org/stream/stream020npr.html

Google is your friend. :wink:

Do you have all the resources neccessary to make it happen?
  • StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:
Do you have all the resources neccessary to make it happen?

I'm not sure what you mean by this...[i.e., what resources?]
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe the stuff she put in bold?
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, b_heyer. That's exactly what I was talking about...I love how people don't read their replies.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:
It often requires special sound-file servers, uses specialized compression, and requires rigorous sound editing and other heavy stuff.

Depends what you're going to do. I used to stream mp3's, and all that entailed was hosting the .mp3 file, and then with it a .m3u file with the URL of the original .mp3 file in it. Load the m3u from Winamp, and it streams on it's own.
(I never implemented any more thoroughly than that as it was only my friends who ever used the site, and they all use Winamp. Obviously this solution won't work if you want live streams or anything like that.)
  • StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:
Yeah, b_heyer. That's exactly what I was talking about...I love how people don't read their replies.

oops, lol...sorry about that :oops:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts