Houston, I have a problem ...

• HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

'ello Peeps

I'm a rookie at this website design lark, but I'm learning slowly (I don't do it for a living, just for myself).

I designed my own simple site, installed and learned how to (almost) configure "Gallery" (once I'd paid to upgrade my hosting package to include php, which I knew NOTHING about!) and then sat back and felt pretty pleased with my humble effort.

However, it appears I have goofed, bigtime, and I don't know how to fix it. It's driving me mad, cos I'll bet the solution is simple.

The site is here ...

http://www.chrisandhiscamera.co.uk

I can't get the Meta Tags to 'show up' :cry: . I've included them in the HTML, but I suspect that it's a "Frames" issue, or am I missing something here?

I'm not looking to generate huge amounts of traffic, but a little dribble would be nice! Apparently, my site isn't listed by any SE's, and it's been up in various guises for months now.

Any pointers from the experts? I'm completely stumped!

Oh, and if I've been an idiot, feel free to point it out :oops:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you asking why it's not showing up in the search engines? Your meta tags are there in all frames.

It has been indexed by Google.

It takes some time for a new site to get good page rank. So far you only have one page that links to your site:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... era.co.uk/

And only a few (including this one, that contain your site name) :
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... .co.uk/%22
  • HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the response.

hmmm ... :? perhaps I've misled myself then.

I used a 'webtool' thingie that supposedly checked what a SE could see of the site (sorry, I can't remember what it was), and it reckoned that no Meta info was visible, then I tried a kind of "Am I listed" site, and it reckoned that no SE's had found the site.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Frames sites are 'SE unfriendly', and that there is a better way to do it, but I could well be mistaken.

So I may have worried over nothing! That'll teach me for fiddling when I was bored :)
  • HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Found it!

This was what I used ...

http://www.webmastermatrix.com/metacheck/metacheck.cgi

& this ...

http://www.webmastermatrix.com/webtools/ses.cgi

Are these reliable tools, or are they a load of old underpants?

Discuss.

:lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what the problem is. You have the meta tags on all of your "frame" HTML pages, but you don't have any on your most important one -- the main page itself:

http://www.chrisandhiscamera.co.uk

All you have in there is:
Code: [ Select ]
<html>

<head>
<meta name="name" content="chrisandhiscamera.co.uk">
<title>ChrisAndHisCamera.co.uk</title>
</head>

<frameset rows="96,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">
 <frame name="ChrisAndHisCamera.co.uk" scrolling="no" noresize target="contents" src="header.htm" marginwidth="9" marginheight="11">
 <frameset cols="139,*">
  <frame name="contents" target="main" src="content.htm" scrolling="auto" noresize>
  <frame name="main" src="body.htm" scrolling="auto">

</frameset>
 <noframes>
 <body>

<p>This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.</p>

</body>
 </noframes>
</frameset>

</html>
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <meta name="name" content="chrisandhiscamera.co.uk">
  4. <title>ChrisAndHisCamera.co.uk</title>
  5. </head>
  6. <frameset rows="96,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">
  7.  <frame name="ChrisAndHisCamera.co.uk" scrolling="no" noresize target="contents" src="header.htm" marginwidth="9" marginheight="11">
  8.  <frameset cols="139,*">
  9.   <frame name="contents" target="main" src="content.htm" scrolling="auto" noresize>
  10.   <frame name="main" src="body.htm" scrolling="auto">
  11.  </frameset>
  12.  <noframes>
  13.  <body>
  14.  <p>This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.</p>
  15.  </body>
  16.  </noframes>
  17. </frameset>
  18. </html>

Slap a few in there and you should be in good shape with those tools you linked to.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

One main reason you aren't listed at any decent level on search engines is that you need people to link to your site - - people who find it interesting, of course.

Since you're using frames, people can't link to individual pages. Therefore, your rank on important search engines is low. If you want people to be able to link to individual pages in your site, you need to stop using frames, or use a separate frameset for every document.

Being too lazy to put meaningful noframes content certainly doesn't help.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

not to mention the fact meta tags are almost pointless now :D
  • HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:

Being too lazy to put meaningful noframes content certainly doesn't help.

Not so much "too lazy" as didn't realise the importance of this. Like I said, I'm a newbie, and no pro at this. But thanks for the pointer, I'll sort this out when I get a chance.
  • HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

I see what the problem is. You have the meta tags on all of your "frame" HTML pages, but you don't have any on your most important one -- the main page itself:

http://www.chrisandhiscamera.co.uk ...........

Thanks for this. It's so obvious, & I completely missed it. I think this bit is fixed now, but I've had too many beers to check, so I'll look again in the morning. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- been there, done that. When you wake up with that hangover in the AM, have a cup o' java and realize that what the others said is probably true. Frames pages aren't really SEO friendly. As you can see in your code, there is nothing there that is content on your main page except the frames code and what little meta tags you have.

Do some serious reading and studying through our search engine boards to learn how to get a page ranked well. Unfortunately, frames are not going to cut it, and given the overall design of your site you probably won't see any positive results anytime soon.

You would probably be better off to continue your study and pursuit and recreate your site to a non-framed version. The first website I ever created was frames. It was pitiful. But it was still my first site and I was very happy and proud of it.

It takes some work to do this right and make it work. But with your attitude towards it, I'm positive you'll get it.

Best of luck.

//added PS -- say hello to the Beatles for me. Any of 'em ever come there just to hang out now-a-days? Must be pretty cool to live in a town with that kind of legendary history.
  • HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Righty-ho. So, a redesign is the way forward.

Seperate HTML pages, with plenty of content (tricky on a pic-gallery site, but I'm sure I can come up with something) and let's not worry TOO much about the META tags :oops:

Then get a few more links to my site from other peoples.

Bingo :lol:

hmmmmm ... why do I suspect I could be back here asking a load more questions!! Like ... is there a way to :roll: (TELL YOU WHAT, I'LL TRY A SEARCH BEFORE I ASK ...)

Chris
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

feel free to ask anyways :D
but seriously, you're one of the first people who's said they're gonna search first!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts