How can I ensure that all images are loaded?

• chriscross
  • Born
  • Born
  • chriscross

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm designing a CSS site with plenty of graphics, but I feel that I'm lacking the web developer skills needed to make it work smoothly. Almost every time I visit the site there are one or two failures to load images. On most websites it doesn't matter too much, but since my site consist entirely of graphics it's sometimes fatal.

If you want to have a look the URL is: http://www.chinesegendercalendar.info

I am aware that there is a method using javascript, that loads the images into an array and retries to load images that fail. Maybe I'm wrong, but it appears somewhat cumbersome to me.

What I'm wondering is if there is any other, more safe and less complicated way of ensuring that all images get loaded, perhaps with CSS. I suppose the best would be if the browser could be directly triggered to reload images that have failed to load.

In my opinion it should be standard in all browsers, to automatically retry loading images that fail :idea: Any reflections on that?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

None of your images look too heavy, so there's no reason they should all take so long to load, except that it looks like all your divs and CSS were generated for you by Photoshop or something. If you start from the beginning and put your site together the right way I think the end result will look a lot smoother and you won't have to watch all the images populate one by one like that.

A good place to start would be using text instead of graphics in your navigation menu, since those seem to load the last.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I see all the images without any problems.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
I think I see all the images without any problems.

If he says that than it's all good (He always complains about his 128kb? connection :lol: )

I see them fine too
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha yeah I do because it seriously sucks ... and also if an image is defined in the HTML or in the CSS I have never seen an image fail to load ...
  • chriscross
  • Born
  • Born
  • chriscross

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for checking out my site and for sharing your thoughts! So, you see it fine...weird... I was just to say that you're all in the U.S. and that the reason is your proximity to the server (the site is hosted on a U.S. server). But I see that one of you is located in South Africa, so that theory is no good. I, myself is in Europe and I can't say that it works too crap, but during every visit to the site there are 1-3 image load failures. If for example the header or background doesn't load it's pretty annoying.

I take it, there is no simple method for ensuring that all images are loaded. I still insist that it should be handled automatically by the browser though...:hmm:! Anyway, I'll optimize the graphics a bit and try to streamline code.

Thanks again to all of you!
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This sounds like a problem with your network connection, not the site itself. As long as the images are there and the paths to them are specified correctly, they will load.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

emphasis on the WILL ... the browser has no choice, that's what it's instructed to do, and it has no choice ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

emphasis on the WILL ... the browser has no choice, that's what it's instructed to do, and it has no choice ...

A little more emphasis
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:

A little more emphasis

haha thanks Bogey.
  • sophiya

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:

A little more emphasis

hi
i am having one personal blog. I want to change the layout of my blog other than the default layout, can you help me
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sophiya, just a little advice ... it may be better for you if you created a new topic for this instead of using this one ... I think more people will see it ... And also, I am not sure of how to change the layout/style of a blog ... never had a blog ...
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey sophiya I agree with RT this something that should be started in a new post. What blogging platform are you using?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are using Blogspot, there is an option to change the layout... it's like a templating thing so some things (variables) there should stay intact...
  • sophiya

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
If you are using Blogspot, there is an option to change the layout... it's like a templating thing so some things (variables) there should stay intact...

thanks for the reply please give some brief description
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like, on my blogspot, I have the following HTML with the variables... (Like a template).

Code: [ Select ]
 <div id='content-wrapper'>

<div id='crosscol-wrapper' style='text-align:center'>
        <b:section class='crosscol' id='crosscol' showaddelement='no'/>
     </div>

<div id='main-wrapper'>
        <b:section class='main' id='main' showaddelement='no'>
<b:widget id='Blog1' locked='true' title='Blog Posts' type='Blog'/>
</b:section>
     </div>

<div id='sidebar-wrapper'>
        <b:section class='sidebar' id='sidebar' preferred='yes'>
<b:widget id='BlogArchive1' locked='false' title='Blog Archive' type='BlogArchive'/>
<b:widget id='Profile1' locked='false' title='About Me' type='Profile'/>
</b:section>
     </div>

<!-- spacer for skins that want sidebar and main to be the same height-->
     <div class='clear'>&#160;</div>

</div>
  1.  <div id='content-wrapper'>
  2.      <div id='crosscol-wrapper' style='text-align:center'>
  3.         <b:section class='crosscol' id='crosscol' showaddelement='no'/>
  4.      </div>
  5.      <div id='main-wrapper'>
  6.         <b:section class='main' id='main' showaddelement='no'>
  7. <b:widget id='Blog1' locked='true' title='Blog Posts' type='Blog'/>
  8. </b:section>
  9.      </div>
  10.      <div id='sidebar-wrapper'>
  11.         <b:section class='sidebar' id='sidebar' preferred='yes'>
  12. <b:widget id='BlogArchive1' locked='false' title='Blog Archive' type='BlogArchive'/>
  13. <b:widget id='Profile1' locked='false' title='About Me' type='Profile'/>
  14. </b:section>
  15.      </div>
  16.      <!-- spacer for skins that want sidebar and main to be the same height-->
  17.      <div class='clear'>&#160;</div>
  18.     </div>

And if I want to edit anything there, I would need to save some stuff there. Even better, it is probably best to edit the CSS provided with the template... I think that would be a little easier :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts