How to fit the site to all resoltions? HELP

• hagmar66
  • hagmar66

Post 3+ Months Ago

please help me i want to know how to make my site fill all resolutions?
thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, i assume you are using the following method to define your tables sizes: width="100", this defines a 'static' size to a table, well, incase you didn't know, you can define a 'stretchable' size to a table, using this method: width="100%", a table with 100% width will use all avaliable space to stretch but will never go out of bounds of the screen, try messing around with the percentages, you can use the same method for height. I hope this is want you were looking for, good luck :)

(if you aren't using tables: i recommend using atleast one table if you want your site to be completely 'stretchable', also a link to the actual site would probably help)
  • VentsyV
  • Student
  • Student
  • VentsyV

Post 3+ Months Ago

you do not need to use tables at all. you can use
Code: [ Select ]
<div></div>
and just define the size as mentioned above.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed with VentsyV. There is no reason why a tableless design cannot be fluid.

<a href="http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp">Look ma, no tables</a>
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just a table fan >=P
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any GOOD reason why? Have you looked at the alternatives? CSS-based design can do a <i>thousand</i> more things than a table based design can, and runs off a sh*tload less coding.

//edit - im not having a go, just IMHO a lot of the people who "love tables" have never really looked into CSS-based layouts, and it's like saying: "I don't like cakes, because all I've ever eaten is bread"
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually im a css whore :D, since i've learned how to use basic css i've never stoped using it.

Still, for some reason, i allways use tables on my sites, and maybe there's something i don't know about css and how i can use it to replace tables.

I made a xoops theme from scratch, and all i used was a couple of tables and all else was with css.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, unless you need a grid, with distinct columns and rows, then you don't need a table. Pure CSS layouts are great. Much better than table based layouts.

There is probably a lot you don't know about CSS, it's much more powerful than most people imagine. If you think changing your link colours from a single file is great, then try a complete site redesign from the single CSS file (colours changed, all header and layout images altered, columns all swapped round - a completely different site).

Plus there are accessibility benefits, device independence, flexibility - the list goes on an on.
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea from what you are saying i bet i have yet to learn what css is all about, maybe you can point me in the right direction? a compreensive guide or something?

Edit: I seem to have missed the link you provided before, ill take a look ;)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't say that you don't know what CSS is all about, just that you don't appreciate the full power of CSS. Most people don't like it because:
a) They are used to using tables and cannot be bothered to learn something knew.
b) They have heard that CSS layouts are difficult.

The second one is slightly true, browser-compatibility can be complicated, but not as bad as some people think.

Well the internet, for some reason, is lacking the comprehensive guide that you are looking for (at least I never managed to find it :lol: ). I had to scrap around getting info from all over the place (mostly taking apart examples). But there is one coming (check the sig - I'm working on it!)

Just google for CSS layouts, pure CSS layouts, pure CSS and you will find a lot of examples pages and a few hacks pages and you just kinda have to take th code apart.
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll have to check on that later, i wanna know as much different means to achieve stuff as i can, so i can call myself a flexible webdesigner :)
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Agreed with VentsyV. There is no reason why a tableless design cannot be fluid.

<a href="http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp">Look ma, no tables</a>

That site looks pretty funny if you squeeze your browser down a bit. The right overlaps the center, for example... Guess those retro schmucks at 640x480 are just out of luck!

(but really.. who in the world still has that ratio anyway!?)

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts