How to Index/Archive?

• dosu66
  • Born
  • Born
  • dosu66

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, this is probably a very stupid question, but I'm new at having a website (I've always used blogs). I use Homestead's Sitebuilder, so I don't have to deal with much code. Here's my problem:

I have no idea how I should be indexing or archiving content on my site (or, how to do it easily). For instance, if I post product reviews, those reviews eventually move from the home page to the Reviews page (and each review gets it's own page).

But how do I keep adding content, and pushing old content back, or archive it, in a way that makes sense and is easy? Am I making any sense here?

With Blogger (what I was using before) everything was given it's own page and archived for me, and if I needed further sorting/grouping I used tags. I feel pretty overwhelmed now.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• seularts
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend.. study some php.. it helps!:)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, as seularts said, this will be done with the implementation of a database and a server side language that communicates with the database ... Now the most popular choices are ASP, and PHP (imo) ... this forum supports PHP much better than ASP, so I'd suggest using PHP ...

But it seems to me like you want another blog or am I missing something here ... ?
  • dosu66
  • Born
  • Born
  • dosu66

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea what PHP is. It looks like I'll need to do some reading.

No, I don't want another blog. I like the website I'm working on. It's just that archiving and moving this around is much more complicated, and I feel like I'm probably making it more complex than it needs to be.

Thanks for you answers!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well at least when you do start to learn php you have something to work towards, which makes it a bit easier to get where you want to be ... I think you should start at W3Schools for this ... http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/default.asp ...

but basically, you would want to do the following:

-write an article
-let it display
-when the next article comes up, archive the previous one.

Is my interpretation, is this correct?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts