How to modify text on a JPG

• mbs43
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbs43

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I am a new member. I got my website done through a vendor couple of years back and he gave me complete source code for the same. Now I am changing my business model so need to modify my website. However most of the titles in the web pages are jpgs and the Jpgs have text on them which ofcourse I need to modify to suit my new business. How can I do that? So for e.g My image has a chicago downtown image with my company name on it. How do I change to the new company name?

Thanks in advance!
mbs
  • BongSoo
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

If he gave you the complete source code, then hopefully he gave you the photoshop layered psd files that were used to create the jpegs?

If so, it COULD be a simple type change.

If not, I am afraid you will have to have some good photoshop skills or hire someone who does...
  • mbs43
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbs43

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply, No he did not give me any psd files. He gave me only the JPGs and said thats the complete source code.

Which software will let me modify the Jpg text?

mbs43
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think there is any software to edit the text on JPGs. If you tell me the source of one of the images, I could have a go editing it in Photoshop. But, like BongSoo says, it may be a bigger job than you'd expect.
  • BongSoo
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, it sounds like cloning out the old text in Photoshop and adding the new as well. Once the layers are flattened, the text becomes an image...
  • mbs43
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbs43

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do I attach my JPG? Once you see the image you will know exactly what I am saying....Please let me know.

mbs43
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just give a URL to the image if you like, and I can download it. I'll have a look tomorrow and try and get something together, if yo let me know what you would like the text changed to.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it is true. There is pretty much no way to edit the text without the .psd file, once it is converted into a .jpg file. The only way I can pretty much think of is what I have to do if I lose .psd file: Pixel by Pixel editing. Yes, it is a very slow and time consuming process but I'm afraid thats all that can be done.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What happens is the text in the jpg is rendered as a merged single layer. The only (easy) way to edit the text or image is with the original psd file that contains the layers. Otherwise faster (and perhaps cheaper) to start from scratch.
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah...I was thinking of trying the magic wand tool, but the chances of getting a good qulaity image by doing that are not very high. Still, if you like, give the URL to the image and I'll give it a go.
  • walterkilis
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • walterkilis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah you're going to have to go into photoshop.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post the URL here, and I'll take a crack at it, just let me know what changes are needed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts