How to reduce image size when uploading the image on website

• asad_black
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • asad_black
  • Loc: pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.nceonline.com

i am working on this site. actually problem is that the file size of images on home page is very large so due to large file size of images many users cannot visit our website frequently.

when i want to reduce file size then image loose its quality.

please resolve my problem as soon as possible.

Regards,
ASAD_BLACK
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

what are you using to edit the images ... which program?
  • asad_black
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • asad_black

Post 3+ Months Ago

i reduce image file size from adobe photoshop...!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay inside photshop's "file" menu there is a "Save for web and devices" option. That should already reduce the file-size of the image you are saving.
  • asad_black
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • asad_black

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i was doing already but whatz the reason that my website home page is open very slowly....?

please give me any suggestion for increase the speed of opening of my website home page...!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

firstly, why does your site resize my browser, that is very very very annoying ...

maybe try and use an external stylesheet instead of inline styles, that could already make a difference ... and then ... it seriously doesn't load that slowly ... I can't see why anyone would complain ...
  • asad_black
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • asad_black

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, lots of user see it on 28kbps
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is completely broken in Firefox. The only image I can see in Firefox is the logo at the top. In fact, until I opened it in Internet Explorer, I thought that your site didn't have any other images and I was wondering why you said it was slow.

Now that I see all those images, and since you say many of your users view it at 28 kbps, you probably shouldn't have so many images. And you especially shouldn't have that Flash content on the left side of your pages.

One more thing I noticed is you are using a much larger image in place of a thumbnail (eg. the picture of the book on http://www.nceonline.com/productspreprimary.htm) and then resizing it using the IMG tag. Instead, you should resize the image beforehand using Photoshop or some other similar program.
  • asad_black
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • asad_black

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahan....! interesting...!

hey casablanca problem is that our CEO wants image on every navigation/dropdown on home page.

well give me any suggestion for improving the speed of web page.

Regards,
ASAD_BLACK
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, as I already said, you should resize the images before uploading them. For example, see this image: http://www.nceonline.com/images/mazeeng_st.jpg which is 317 x 405 pixels in size. But on the page at http://www.nceonline.com/productspreprimary.htm the displayed image is only 126 x 166 pixels in size. So the browser will be unnecessarily downloading the bigger image and then resizing it to make it smaller. Instead, you should resize the image on the server itself so that the image will load faster.
  • asad_black
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • asad_black

Post 3+ Months Ago

i want suggestion only for home page.....!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well well well ... I only now see all the images ... didn't even know they were there ... (I'm a firefox user) ...

How about replacing the images with text ... that'll load much quicker ... and how about fixing the 19 validation errors ... That should be a good start ...
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In addition to not working in Firefox, your site falls apart in Internet Explorer 8 (beta) and in Safari 3.

As r_t and casablanca said, dropping some of the images and replacing them with text would be a HUGE step in reducing your load time. You should explain to your CEO that the only way you'll really up your speed is by getting rid of some of those images. As is, he/she's got to choose between images and speed. (Hint: speed is ten thousand times more important.)

Another suggestion - dump some of your Javascript:
For example, you have a script that changes the status bar text, which is rather silly considering most popular browsers (including Internet Explorer 7, 8, and Firefox) block Javascript from changing the status bar text by default (heck, Opera doesn't even HAVE a status bar by default), so the script gets loaded for nothing.

The script that resizes the browser window is another useless script - in addition to increasing load time, it's just plain annoying.
  • cade123
  • Born
  • Born
  • cade123

Post 3+ Months Ago

A very good alternative is a free graphic editor called Irfanview, available for reduce the size of image,you have to install the Irfanview editor on your system.
  • jim Brown
  • Born
  • Born
  • jim Brown

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi...

When i was working on my website I learnt that while the making of the layout you should use lossless compression for images this can also help you to reduce your image size.For more Information about Web site Design log on to http://www.infysolutions.com

Bye........

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts