How do you guys test webpages ?

• Scott123
  • Scott123

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am new to website design.
From all the reading I have so far, I have not come across any articles about testing methodology. Is it common that web designers make the change and test locally in Dreamweaver or Expression, then just publish it?
Isn't it safer to have a duplicate site (even with a different domain on different host) to test it out thouroghly before making the change in Live website?
Also, I will be oursourcing some programming tasks to outside programmers, and I don't want them to have access to my Live website. This is to prevent any possibility of messing up production codes by outsiders. What is the best way to go about it? setting up a duplicate test site on another host is the only way that comes to my mind.
I appreciate any helps. 8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always test the full site online in as many browsers as possible. Testing in expression or dw won't give you an accurate picture of how your users will actually see the site. How I do this really depends on the size of the site.

Small sites I usually just create a sub directory on the client's server. For larger sites its typical to have a dev.clientsdomain.com (actual production work), preview.clientsdomain.com (get approval from clients of requested changes), clientsdomain.com (live site everyone sees). In most cases our dev site gets files directly from the cvs repository.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually add an index.html splash page and work behind it on the .php files so I first test locally in all browsers I have available, and then I switch over to the live site and test in all browsers available, and then my boss also double checks everything. after that I clean out the database and delete the index.html file so the .php file is the main one.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a real production environment it's common practice to have a separate test environment that is identical to the production environment (or as close to it as is feasible). Depending on the complexity and importance of the project, however, this is often disregarded and code is largely sent to the production server without any testing at all.

I run a website with millions of page views monthly from hundreds of thousands of visitors. I rarely test before publishing. It's a bad habit, but I'm careful to make backups so I can revert in a matter of seconds if something goes awry. I have a very good error management system too, though, so letting my users do the testing gets me hundreds of samples within 30 seconds which is great in a fast development model.
  • seharness
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Southern California

Post 3+ Months Ago

To avoid delay waiting for admin changes or creation of a sub-domain that can take days to weeks depending on the client or the willingness of the hosting company.... I typically create a dir/ with the year so the the client can see the site progress, sign off on elements and functionality. Then when the site is fully tested request that the hosting company change the settings to make the 2008/ dir live.

The one down side of early client preview is that the entire project could change when they realize how many other things that they want to do or could have done. So best to hold in production till 80% and then while finishing the last 20% the client can review the work and have any edits ready to be changed. Seems to keep both side busy with less calls asking for updates.

As far as browser testing and CSS the first place you should test is the W3c validation tools for CSS / Xhtml to get your site as close as possible without being "unduly burdensome" (these words are taken from a legal client after attending a seminar in 2006 warning of the issue coming to legislation for 508 compliance in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities ACT that will eventually be mandated for all sites to be compliant or get taken down. It has been a law in the UK for a while now. Most of the errors that are reported help whip your coding into shape, make it flow better for search engines too and 9 times out of 10 80% of the issues are alt attributes and height in tables or cells.

Good luck to you... the other item i thought about is the firefox plugin for tidy that will do the same thing as the w3c - except it actually rewrites the code so you just cut and paste back into your editor. Pretty slick and ultra fast!

Cheers,

SE harness
  • ish221100
  • Born
  • Born
  • ish221100

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually use check my sites in Fire fox and Internet explorer. Because these two browsers are widely used all over the world.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't need to test on another host. You can set up a real server environment locally. A tool like XAMPP does the job - very easy to set up and use.
  • jennygirl899
  • Born
  • Born
  • jennygirl899

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zwirko wrote:
You don't need to test on another host. You can set up a real server environment locally. A tool like XAMPP does the job - very easy to set up and use.

Yes, XAMPP, the two most used browser, and everything is fine.

8)
  • JREAM
  • Born
  • Born
  • JREAM

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always done things locally, though i coded everything by hand. I now use a CMS on my server, and its a little tricky if you mess that up. But just use notepad++ and firefox and you will do swell :)
  • Pro PHP
  • Pro PHP

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always test in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari Web browsers, before uploading a site. Because I use a Windows computer and don't have a Web server or PHP installed, I do tend to test PHP-based sites in a "hidden" folder online before the changes go live. I always like to make sure everything is perfect before publishing.
  • theBruney
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty much what everyone else has said. Don't forget trying things on different OSs as well. I try to make sure that things remain consistent on both MAC and Windows. I use this site for OS that I can't get my hands on:

http://browsershots.org/
  • Pro PHP
  • Pro PHP

Post 3+ Months Ago

theBruney wrote:
Pretty much what everyone else has said. Don't forget trying things on different OSs as well. I try to make sure that things remain consistent on both MAC and Windows. I use this site for OS that I can't get my hands on:

http://browsershots.org/

Thanks for sharing that! It will come in very handy.
  • bpkreddy529
  • Born
  • Born
  • bpkreddy529

Post 3+ Months Ago

Scott123 wrote:
I am new to website design.
From all the reading I have so far, I have not come across any articles about testing methodology. Is it common that web designers make the change and test locally in Dreamweaver or Expression, then just publish it?
Isn't it safer to have a duplicate site (even with a different domain on different host) to test it out thouroghly before making the change in Live website?
Also, I will be oursourcing some programming tasks to outside programmers, and I don't want them to have access to my Live website. This is to prevent any possibility of messing up production codes by outsiders. What is the best way to go about it? setting up a duplicate test site on another host is the only way that comes to my mind.
I appreciate any helps. 8)

you can do it using some of the internet portals like http://validator.w3.org/
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a apache server on my pen drive for local web pagers and I use that to run php pagers off. It also will run MySQL and FillZilla its :@sign: http://www.portableapps.com/ :P Sounds like I'm advertising it! :lol:
  • N2S
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.thumbalizr.com/
fast.. simple.. easy.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of screenshot apps (browsershots, thumbalizer, etc) since they never give you a fully accurate picture of what happens with a little bit of interaction.

For example some PNG hacks don't work with rollover images. Your screen shot may look great but if someone uses IE6 to view your site and then interacts with a rollover they may see a strange blue image, and you'd never know that from the screenshot. This is becoming much more of an issue now that may sites utilize heavy javascript to create user interactions and presentation.

I still say if your serious about web design you should find a way to have as many browsers as possible running some place where you have access to do checks.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are there so many irrelevant posts here? People, please read the OP before posting your two cents.

He's asking about how you handle live code versus production code, not which of the 100000000000 websites you use to take browser/os screenshots.
  • Happy-Hunting
  • Born
  • Born
  • Happy-Hunting

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use FireFox and IE, that is the only time I use IE though, load of garbage if you ask me

Happy-Hunting ;)
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

excellent for testing version of ie 5.5 all the way to current (8).
  • frank23
  • Born
  • Born
  • frank23

Post 3+ Months Ago

great information.
  • michaelc
  • Born
  • Born
  • michaelc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a local webserver ( Wamp for PHP / Tomcat for Java )
push it there and then run selenium to test across all browsers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts