How do you make all countries and cities available 2 users?

• Shananigan06
  • Born
  • Born
  • Shananigan06

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello!

I am a total newbie over here, so please bare with me!

I am wondering, how do you make a site that people can advertise for free on?

More specifically, I want to know how they manage all of their location information.

Say you were going to post an ad.. The site asks for:

*Country (With a drop down box listing all countries.. or countries you had the ability to advertise in).
*Once you've selected your country, it then asks for a zipcode OR for you to select a city out of the drop down list.

There are THOUSANDS of cities, towns, ect... out there. How do you compile ALL of those options (cities, towns, ect..) out there for a user to choose from? Is there a program out there that already has all of this information in it that you can add to your site? Or do you have to manually add in every signal country and town you want available to your user?

Make sense what I'm asking? Sorry, I'm not really up on the technical terms. Please feel free to answer very technically though! I am honestly trying to research this, so I am looking for technical terms and / or processes! Links are helpful too!

I hope I posted this in the correct area! If not, please let me know! I will move it to the proper location!

Thank you so much!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your going to need a PHP driven web site that will allow functions for people to sigh up and alter their listing. there is plenty of pre build scripts for this kind of thing and some a free but others need a license.

Some plugins come with the country list and others you need to make your own. I would suggest a little study and research to find this data as there is plenty of information our there on this.
  • Shananigan06
  • Born
  • Born
  • Shananigan06

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous,

Thank you for replying! I apologize for my delayed response.

Great! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Would you mind giving me some keywords and / or phrases I could use to help research this?

I am going to search "PHP Websites", but are their any other technical terms I could use to search this subject?

Thank you!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it depends partially on how you will be storing and retrieving the cities and countries, but if you plan to use any sort of database you could look something up such as cities database sql, cities database csv, countries database sql, etc. SQL stands for structured query language and is often used in databases.

That might get you headed in the right direction, but if you are new to all of this it might still be a big challenge for you as you will most likely have lots to learn. Feel free to ask any questions if you get stuck or don't know the right words to look for your answers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts