HTML coding for all browser types

• TheSphinx
  • Loc: London Ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone again

My wife is an avid webpage designer and graghic designer in the making and is in need of a liitle help.

We have just recently been told that our family website is not viewable in netscape and am not y that is?

We are thinking it is due to some coding she missed and it is not viewable in all browser types.

But not sure

If anyone may be able to help it would be greatly appreciated. :D 8)

Thx alot

this is the link to the site for use in checking out the source code ( she writes all her own code and doesn't use templates)

http://members.rogers.com/mbiron/

Thx again
Sonny
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which version(s) of netscape? All versions, or just NS4? If it's only NS4, don't worry about it. I'm not sure of the exact timeline, but NS4's gotta be like a decade old by now, heh.

You can't really hope to create a good popular website that's compatible with everything out there. If you're wanting to do that, you might as well go text-only, then you're not persecuting the Lynx users :)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your thread to the proper category.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is you're question about the Amber Alert box?
  • TheSphinx

Post 3+ Months Ago

no sry it isnt about the amber alert box

i have a friend that uses netscape and cannot view our site and just thought there was a code u put in so it allows for all browser types to view it

oh and sry bout not having it in the right section

my first time using a forum

thx alot tho all
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem at all on the category.

I've looked at the page in the current versions of IE and NS, and also in NS 4.08 (an historic browser)...they all display fine.
:)
  • TheSphinx

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm weird

then would it be a prob on the other persons side on y they cant view it?
  • TheSphinx

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh and he says his version is 6.1
if that makes a diff
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see anything in the source that would cause problems.

:?

I don't have a copy of NS 6, but I would verify his results before changing anything.
  • TheSphinx

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thx

i am just puzzled on y this would happen

i asked another person who uses both and he said he couldnt view in netscape either

oh well i guess there loss ...hehe
but still
thx again
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just viewed it in Netscape 6.2 and it appears to look very close to IE 6. I remember NS 6.1 was a little buggy which is why I upgraded to NS 6.2 when it came out.

There is a problem with the code that could be causing your friends' problems. In the head area your wife has this:

Code: [ Select ]
<html>
<head>
<title>The Biron's Place</title>
</head>
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <title>The Biron's Place</title>
  4. </head>

That is followed by a javascript and a style sheet and then the Body tag and remainder of the document. The whole thing should be like this:

Code: [ Select ]
<html>
<head>
<title>The Biron's Place</title>

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
function click() {
if (event.button==2) {
alert('Graphics property of Spydrs Webs. All rights reserved.');
}
}
document.onmousedown=click
// -->
</script>

<STYLE type="text/css">
<!--
BODY {
scrollbar-face-color:#8CBCBB;
scrollbar-highlight-color:#FFFFFF;
scrollbar-3dlight-color:#8CBCBB;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#000000;
scrollbar-shadow-color:#326966;
scrollbar-arrow-color:#326966;
scrollbar-track-color:#8CBCBB;
}
-->
</STYLE>
</head>
<body background="ltgrtile.jpg" ondragstart="returnfalse" onselectstart="returnfalse">
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <title>The Biron's Place</title>
  4. <script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
  5. function click() {
  6. if (event.button==2) {
  7. alert('Graphics property of Spydrs Webs. All rights reserved.');
  8. }
  9. }
  10. document.onmousedown=click
  11. // -->
  12. </script>
  13. <STYLE type="text/css">
  14. <!--
  15. BODY {
  16. scrollbar-face-color:#8CBCBB;
  17. scrollbar-highlight-color:#FFFFFF;
  18. scrollbar-3dlight-color:#8CBCBB;
  19. scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#000000;
  20. scrollbar-shadow-color:#326966;
  21. scrollbar-arrow-color:#326966;
  22. scrollbar-track-color:#8CBCBB;
  23. }
  24. -->
  25. </STYLE>
  26. </head>
  27. <body background="ltgrtile.jpg" ondragstart="returnfalse" onselectstart="returnfalse">

See the difference in the location of the ending head tag?

That may or may not be the problem, but it could be. In any event, I'd recommend to your friends to either upgrade to NS7.1 or have them check into the new Firefox .80 browser here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

P.S. Tell your wife she did a nice job with the page.
  • TheSphinx

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx alot ATNO/TW

i will get her to try it and let ya know if it fixed it

thx for the compliment as well
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- while you're at it, tell her to sign up her own handle here too. If she likes designing web pages, she might as well hang with the crowd!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

good eye man!!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks dM
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

I checked out the site in NS 7.1, IE, opera 7 and Mozilla. All 4 looked fine to me, FWIW.

Mark
  • TheSphinx

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was just checking the guestbook of my website that i posted earlier for a little help on and came apon some very rude msg's.

it was not pleasing to read and very rude.

i did recieve some good help from some nice guys on here and another thx goes out to them.

but please if u dont have anything nice to say then there is no need to slander or be very rude

just dont leave a msg if u have nothing nice to say, please

:( :x
  • TheSphinx

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx out to allgood as well
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

TheSphinx, in my opinion guestbooks are a waste of time and effort. In the end you get "almost" exactly what you saw today. I did have one that surprised me once that I left up from years ago re: owls and saw a lot of kids posted very cool positive stuff, but there was so much other "stuff" mixed in I just determined guestbooks weren't worth the effort. Take that as an opinion, nothing more.
  • Kairisika
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Calgary, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you do the web design thing and want it to be viewable in all browsers, get netscape. go <a href="http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp">here</a> and you can download whatever the latest version is free, and if you fix the options when doing the setup you just get the navigator and no other schock. Then you can check it for yourself.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i checked it in cse html validator lite and found these:
error, line 5: The "script" tag was found, but it is not valid due to where it is used. This element may be contained in "body" and "head". This element may not be contained in "frameset". The tag is currently not contained in an element that allows its use.
warning, line 12: Found the character '>' with no previous character '<' to open the tag. The character '<' must appear before each '>' to open a tag. If you actually want to use this character in the text portion of your document, then you should use the character entity "&gt;". Note, however, that using this entity is not technically necessary according to the HTML specification (but it is highly recommended that you use it).
error, line 15: The "style" tag was found, but it is not valid due to where it is used. This element may be contained in "head". The tag is currently not contained in an element that allows its use.
error, line 31: The "center" tag must be closed but the closing tag was not found.
error, line 34: The "center" tag must be closed but the closing tag was not found.
error, line 38: The "font" tag must be closed but the closing tag was not found.
error, line 38: The hexadecimal color value for the "color" attribute is missing the '#' character.
error, line 38: The "link" attribute is not valid for the "font" element. The valid attributes for this element are: "class", "color", "contenteditable", "dir", "face", "font-weight", "hidefocus", "id", "lang", "language", "onbeforecopy", "onbeforecut", "onbeforepaste", "onclick", "oncontextmenu", "oncopy", "oncut", "ondblclick", "ondragstart", "onfilterchange", "onhelp", "onkeydown", "onkeypress", "onkeyup", "onmousedown", "onmouseenter", "onmouseleave", "onmousemove", "onmouseout", "onmouseover", "onmouseup", "onmousewheel", "onpaste", "onselectstart", "point-size", "size", "style", "title", "unselectable", "xml:lang", and "xml:space".
error, line 38: The "vlink" attribute is not valid for the "font" element. The valid attributes for this element are: "class", "color", "contenteditable", "dir", "face", "font-weight", "hidefocus", "id", "lang", "language", "onbeforecopy", "onbeforecut", "onbeforepaste", "onclick", "oncontextmenu", "oncopy", "oncut", "ondblclick", "ondragstart", "onfilterchange", "onhelp", "onkeydown", "onkeypress", "onkeyup", "onmousedown", "onmouseenter", "onmouseleave", "onmousemove", "onmouseout", "onmouseover", "onmouseup", "onmousewheel", "onpaste", "onselectstart", "point-size", "size", "style", "title", "unselectable", "xml:lang", and "xml:space".
error, line 49: The attribute value "40%" for the "width" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores, and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.
error, line 50: The "font" tag must be closed but the closing tag was not found.
error, line 50: The "font" tag (opened in line 50) should be closed before the "td" tag is closed (nesting error).
error, line 52: The "center" tag (opened in line 52) should be closed before the "td" tag is closed (nesting error).
error, line 53: The "font" tag (opened in line 53) should be closed before the "td" tag is closed (nesting error).
error, line 59: The attribute value "65%" for the "width" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores, and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.
error, line 63: The attribute value "65%" for the "width" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores, and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.
error, line 67: The attribute value "65%" for the "width" attribute was not enclosed in single or double quotation marks when it must be. In HTML 4.01, attribute values containing characters other than A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphens, periods, underscores, and colons must be quoted. In XHTML/XML, all attribute values must be quoted. Quotes are recommended even if they are not required.
error, line 74: This line contains part of a quoted string that spans more than one line (not recommended) or a quoted string (like an attribute value) that is missing the beginning or closing quotation mark. You should check this line for improperly quoted attribute values that may be missing an opening or closing quotation mark. As currently configured, HTML Validator requires that all quoted strings be contained on one line and have beginning and end quotes. Note that because of inconsistent handling by user agents, it is not recommended that attribute values contain line breaks.
error, line 82: The "size" attribute has an invalid attribute value "5.5". Try using one of the following values: an integer offset from -6 to +6 or an integer from 1 to 7.
error, line 88: The "size" attribute has an invalid attribute value "4.5". Try using one of the following values: an integer offset from -6 to +6 or an integer from 1 to 7.
error, line 98: The "font" tag (opened in line 93) should be closed before the "td" tag is closed (nesting error).

Having copied and pasted those one by one, i'll tell you that your site looks fine in mozilla. If you want, you can get cse html validator lite for free from http://htmlvalidator.com/ and click on the download link.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts