html forum templates

• addaminsane
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see html based forum templates here and everywhere. Can someone tell me how you go about inserting a phpbb forum into one of these templates?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpBB is a template in its own right.

http://www.phpbb.com

The layout is HTML, the population of data is PHP.

The reason some phpBB forums look different is because they can be "skinned".
  • addaminsane

Post 3+ Months Ago

so the templates on this site, made for a forum aren't for phb or what?
  • addaminsane

Post 3+ Months Ago

so how did the webmaster of this forum put the navigation bar at the side? what is the best and easiest way to put links into a phpbb forum? I don't know much about php.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The phpBB forum templates on Ozzu and http://www.phpBbb.com are for phpBB yes. You don't have to insert it into a phpBB forum though.

Once you have a phpBB forum installed on your site, all you do is download a template you like and install it in the templates folder of phpBB on your server.
  • addaminsane

Post 3+ Months Ago

So if i make my own html template, just an html template in dreamweaver, I can simply put that in the phpbb templates directory and then upload it to phpbb?
  • addaminsane

Post 3+ Months Ago

what im trying to do is, take the phpforum area and put it within the body of one of my html website pages. Does anyone know how i would go about doing that.
  • STeeLRaT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: somewhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you should use html frames. I don't know how to do this, but many other people on this message board can help you out.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

STeeLRaT wrote:
Yes, you should use html frames. I don't know how to do this, but many other people on this message board can help you out.

Use frames ? :shock:

If your looking to have a phpBB forum on your website, go to http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php and download the phpBB 2.0.22 [ Full Package ]. Once you have done that you will need to upload the unzipped files to your web server using FTP.

From there just follow the phpBB installation guide at http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install or ask here for more information.

Check your web server supports php, if not you may have to use a free phpBB host to get your forum.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would be reviewing template tutorials for making templates for software. Now if your looking for a forum you can use phpbb, SMF or something that is well known. These software is framework that process the data, now to make it look pretty you are going to need skins or templates for it. If this is just for playing around and having fun then i suggest you look over some tutorials and youtube videos and work out what is where. Your going to need a understanding oh HTML CSS and some PHP for most web based software.

If this is something more serious and you have a little play money then i would suggest then to buy a template and alter a prebuild one with your details like changing the name and logo and keeping most of the template.

then finally your going to need hosting and these days it is cheap as chips like i started with hobohost with $1/month accounts and .com domain name is around $7 a per year so you can set yourself up with hosting for $19 a year then you do your work on top.

I do not suggest free hosting as there is ads everywhere and you don't get the half the hassles that go with it along with industry standard software.

hope this helps, if you have any questions please post up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts