• a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Justine

Please wrap your code snippets, or blocks, in the BB tags like so:

Code: [ Select ]
YOUR CODE

I've fixed your post this time, if you were wondering.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Justine:
Welcome! It's nice to see another member at OZZU.

I wouldn't recommend using frames because they're very finicky and sometimes don't work correctly. In the end, they generally make things more confusing for the user, rather than less.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific -- for the record, "to frame or not to frame" has been discussed multiple times at OZZU. You're welcome to your opinion of course, but there are several here that have already proven that frames can be used very well.

Justine - Like conorific said, Welcome!

In terms of your problem, I can't even start to tell you all the problems with your code. It's a wonder the page even displays as much as I allowed it time for in IE (which usually is forgiving of errors).

Your errors in the code are significant, and you need to take some time and study more how to do framesets. As it stands right now, your code will take a complete rewrite to make it work.

Start with this tutorial:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp

Sorry to be blunt with a reply to your first question here, but what you have now isn't going to work. Period.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're right. There are ways that frames can be used very well. However, when I was at Justine's beginning level, I could never make frames that were perfectly seamless and wonderful because I would have to know supporting code.

I've never met anyone else who could at that level without first knowing many other aspects of design and HTML. I could be wrong, of course. What I meant to say was that at the beginning level, frames done right is a fairly hard thing to do.

Once again, I could be wrong. Thanks for calling me on that :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear you conorific. For Justine's benefit, my first ever frames page is horrible. Oddly after at least 5 years or so, Tripod still hasn't deleted it from their servers. I almost wish they would, but it's kind of fun to remind myself that I had to learn from scratch!

http://members.tripod.com/~BKOZ/owls/owlpics.html

(It's so old the only links that work now are the 2 galleries - those buttons were also the first graphics I ever made as well as the background).
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, sheesh. Reminds me of my first website. It was called Insane Thoughts and it was full of those stupid cartoon dolls. Geesh. *hides*
  • Justine
  • Justine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers guys...I'm gonna check that tutorial out...hopefully I'll be able to write back soon with some more positive news to report!...
  • Justine
  • Justine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...karmaloca.co.uk is looking happier now...thanks for your tips...see what you think...and in the meantime I have some more queries that maybe someone could help me with...
How can you get the embed attribute in netscape to loop infinitely?
How can you specify an alternative text size for an alternative font?
Some of the images appear dark also on some monitors...what could be causing this?
I'd be grateful of any ideas,
Justine
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you should start a couple new threads Justine. :) But here goes anyway...

Not sure about the embed loop in NS. I'd have to look it up. :(

Using style sheets you can make font sizes relative by specifying "em" as the measuring unit. This will allow the user to adjust font sizes to there preference using the browser functions.

If you're worried that your images aren't contrasted correctly, you could hit em with an "Auto Levels" or "Auto Contrast" in Photoshop.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts