HTML tags - forgotten BLINK tag

• Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

:salut:
Hi guys...

Here it is a small tip about HTML code HTML tags. I saw people very often uses flash (.swf) files to make a simple blinking title, or even worse, they are using banners to make a point on something in the page. Even they are small, flash objects could weight about 20-30 KB, which seriously slows down a page loading time. For example, at slow dial-up connection, like 14 Kbs, or even worse, it increases loading time for about 20 seconds more. From my opinion, if the page doesn't load in 10 seconds most common visitors goes away! :(

Instead taking that risk, correct way to make a point on something is to use headings. This is a search engines standard to put accent on some part of your content. Ok, I understand that human eyes are able to notice more easy some blinking object then static one, but there is simple solution to make a blinking title by using HTML tags...

Blink tag is a standard HTML tag which is actually simplest way to point visitors attention to something you think that is important in your page. You may also apply CSS to the content of tag.
Sample: <blink> blink text goes here </blink>

This way you won't increase loading time, or take risk that flash object stays invisible because of some flash-player incompatibility, or something else...
The only problem is that Blink tag isn't actually supported by Internet Explorer, and it won't blinks! To force IE to do that, you need to insert a small portion of HTML code in the HEAD section of your page and everything will work just fine. This code isn't JavaScript, asp, php or anything like that, just a simple HTML code!

:iconthumbright: For instruction details and HTML code, visit SnoopMoney.com - HTML tags and look for HTML code on bottom of the page...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the blink tag is forgotten for a good reason.. it's obnoxious :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Forgotten" ? Here all this time I thought people quit using it due to getting death threats about it. :scratchhead:

It looks like the broken flickering neon signs you see in front of shady hotels in the movies. I don't think anyone in their right mind isn't turned off by them.

Quote:
This code isn't Javascript, asp, php or anything like that, just a simple HTML code!

That's actually false.
The code provided through the mostly irrelevant article in the link is JS.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did anyone else taste a little bit of spam in this thread?
  • Grasshoppa
  • Loc: Pacific Coast, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Did anyone else taste a little bit of spam in this thread?

Yep. Frying it up for a sandwich right now. :mrgreen:

Personally, I thought "blink tags" went out of usage years ago. Did they come back in when I was sleeping or somethin'?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It smells like spam alright, but the <blink> element hasn't been brought up in ages & the spammy portion is pretty well outweighed by the non-spammy portion.
  • ZiggyILM
  • ZiggyILM

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find blinking text delightfully retro... no fancy cursor trails though? *disappointed*

I'm more worried about the grammar than anything else...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

All we need now is an animated rotating envelope GIF for our contact link and we'll be certified '90s!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts