HTML5: Getting Started?

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone using HTML5 yet? If so how did you get transitioned over and what pitfalls are you hitting? Obviously browser support sucks but whats new there. Anything else? Any good resources?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haven't tried anything but I know webGL works to a decent extent, which is pretty exciting.

The new embedded object stuff will really expand some possibilities in terms of animation and video, I think, but it will take a long time to trickle around.
  • Gofigure
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gofigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

No i am not using it yet but i am studying it closely looks good and some much needed additions were impplemented so im waiting for browser feedback etc.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

the <video> tag looks good it will save me from using youtube for vids that need an interface (since I don't have a clue how to make your on vid UI)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm waiting for more (or at least some) of the semantics elements to get implemented before I try to do anything with it. <video> and <audio> elements, cool, but they really don't change much though. They're sort of like a heart transplant where Flash is the old heart. Most people aren't going to see a difference.

Some of the Javascript API additions, such as getting elements by classname and an event listener for window.onHashChange are interesting. They're all looking like things that are already implemented with things like jQuery already though.

I'd love to try out HTML5 on a few of my mobile sites where the majority of my users are on Safari and Opera which are both ahead of everyone else with HTML5 implementation, but everything I've seen recently suggests that I'd be wasting my time at the moment.

<canvas> is something I've played with occasionally for a new years now and it's fun to play with. I really can't get much use out of it until more browsers support something like Operas 2d-game context and others make it possible to retrieve image data like Firefox has been making possible.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

opera dev has some examples

http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/a-ca ... opera-vid/

maybe opera is trying to get a jump on other browsers.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just came across an old experiment I did with <canvas> back in 2006 when only one or two browsers supported the element. Seems to work in FF, Opera, and Chrome now. I assume it will work in Safari too. I attached all of the files, here's a screenshot.

Attachments:
mapbuilder-ss.png
Attachments:
HTML5-Zelda-Map-Builder.zip

(265.6 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats pretty cool. I'll have to give it a look when I get a chance.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts