Icons

• Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

I d/l some icon packs to use for my website. The icons after I unzipped them are .ico how to I use them in like dreamweaver, becasue .ico wont open in dreamweaver. Am I supposed to convert them to .gif and if so how can I do them all at once.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

.ico are icon files (files associated with windows applications on your desktop).

They aren't designed to be used as web graphics. What I usually do when I need to use an icon on a website...

I fire up Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), browse to the directory containing all the .ico files. Then right click -> View -> Large Icons. Then I just hit print-screen, and paste it into a new document in photoshop. I'm in 1600x1200, so I can get quite a few on a single screenshot.

Then I just save it out as a PSD, and pick from that PSD as I need them, copying+pasting into whatever I need.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey that is a good idea!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love print-screen, it's probably the single most useful feature in Windows - that's why it always makes me laugh when people ask "Does anybody know of a windows screen-capture program?" ;)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well maybe those same people are using a different os, and perhaps that isn't an option. But yeah I know what you mean.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

if they're using a different OS, they wouldn't be asking for a Windows screen-capture program ;)

That's what makes me laugh :)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh lol that is very iconic
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Your .ico files are simple .bmp file and should be opened in mspaint. save them as .bmp and then open as a photoshop file. then save for web.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love Alt Print Scrn which only copies the active window rather than the entire screen
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, good point cerio, I forgot to mention that one :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i use print screen a lot myself :)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of my bosses is constantly asking, "How do I do a screen capture?"

I always answer, "Print Screen, and to answer your next queston, Alt + Print Screen."
:)
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm that is true, but the problem with Prt Scr, is you then have to go and paste it into a imgae editor. I think people want a screen capture program that allows them to hit Prt Scr (or another hotkey) and it will automatically save the picture. which is usefull if you weant to take a lot of pictures in a ful screen aplication such as a game
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that is an interesting point
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but most games these days have an in-built screen-capture facility, and those that don't, their coders don't want you to :)
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

true, but what about people who take long screeenshots, or want to make, say, a movie of their desktop, for security reasons maybe
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out this post as well:

http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/making-ico-files-such-favicon-ico-with-adobe-photoshop-t255.html

That is a plugin you can use with Adobe photoshop which allows you to make icons, but I believe you could use it in your case to simply open .ico files in Adobe Photoshop without even having to use print screen or chaning the file to bmp. This plugin is also useful if you need to make a favicon.ico file for a website.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.irfanview.com/
image wise about the only thing it wont do is run 8BF filters that require transperancy, it can open every format ive ever come across, including extracting ICO from EXE, very configurable screen capture (whole screen, active window, inside of active window, hotkey, automatic, copy shot to clipboard, save shot as file ...on..) batch conver/rename i dont want to fill this post up but including plugins the total program size is about 10Meg, and startup is instant VS waiting for PS,Fireworks, Ect to load. :D

EDIT:
im surely not suggesting as a replacement for the above noted, only a fast, flexible utility for your 'lite pack' toolbox.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts