Identifying country of origin

• UVBoy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: London, Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run a retail website that sells products to Canada and USA. I sell different products in the USA than I do in Canada. For this reason I need to identify where my visitors are coming from so that I can show them the proper products with the proper currency.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to do this while optimizing SEO and website loading speed. I have been using a WHOIS lookup but I fear it's been making my load times slow, and many times it doesn't' work properly. I've considered a splash page that gives all visitors the option to choose USA or Canada but that solution only works for visitors who would be coming to the home page. If they arrive at a deeper page they won't see the splash page.

I've also considered a hybrid where I use a splash page for visitors that come to the homepage first but use a whois lookup for visitors who arrive on a deeper page.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WhiteWizard
  • Born
  • Born
  • WhiteWizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want detailed server statistic, try to use Webalizer.
It is free for download, but requires some skills for installation.
Get details <a href="http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/">here</a>
  • WhiteWizard
  • Born
  • Born
  • WhiteWizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

In other case, if you need to determine user geo location, you need to buy a database.

Try these links:
http://www.ip2geo.net/
http://www.ipligence.com/en/products/
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would recommended using a splash screen for the visitors that hit the home page, and simply having a somewhat prominent (noticeable) selection box of sorts (a simple "Choose your country" and a set of flags would do) on the deeper pages.

Though geo location databases can cover most IPs, they cannot always be relied on, and may give incorrect results for certain visitors. Your average visitor shouldn't have any problems, but some will - enough that you would want to include a selection box as a backup at the very least.
  • UVBoy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: London, Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hob,

I like your idea. I already have the "choose your country" flags on the deeper pages but I need to make them a little more obvious.

Do you know if using a database and doing the lookup can slow down the load time for visitors?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

How does google do it? I mean, that switch from google.com to google.co.za (South-Africa) goes without even noticing ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts