IE6 and all of it's downsides ...

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Everyone,

I had a a question to pose as the website I am developing has proven to be quite IE6 unfriendly.

The site will be moving to a Joomla! CMS once the HTML one is polished for launch. That being said IE6 is unable to handle the transparent images, drop down navigation using UL's, some of the CSS, and looks flat out horrible in it.

I left it up to the site owners as to if I should accomodate for IE6 or focus more on the CMS ...

My question is though, design wise I thought of implementing a javascript to display at the top of select pages of everypage (no business decision reached on that yet) that informs the user they are using IE6 and that is why the site looks off and encouraging them to upgrade to IE7 or get FireFox. Given that the site is going to CMS and works in IE7, FF2+ just fine, how would you deal with the scurge of web development, IE6 in this case?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen sites do that - set up a warning saying "we see you're trying to view this site in IE6, which will not give you optimal results. How about upgrading to a newer browser here?" and they give a link to a new version of FF or something. Another thing you could do is make a simplified bare-bones version for IE6, if they're really concerned about IE6 users, which could leave out the fancy elements and could also be preceded by a warning saying essentially 'this site looks dead simple because you're using IE6'

or something like that?
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's alot of downfalls with ie6 and 5.5, but to be quite honest, any user using IE6 needs to be slapped. That browser is practically a decade old. It's time to upgrade.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your comments.

Solaris: I completely agree ... but design-wise it's "bad" to tell a user which browser a site looks best in ... so figured I'd ask. The owner of the site uses IE6 and not sure if I can get them to upgrade given slow internet connection ...

celandine: Thanks for supporting my hypothesized idea ... I have considered tweaking the CSS just for IE6 so the dropdown menus look right and that is about it. As long as the menus work right in IE6, and the rest has issues I am happy as they can navigate and see a lovely warning on every page as to why it looks like sh*t :).

I like the warning idea, but it's not my site ... so thier call ... I'll bring forth these opinions next meeting and see what kind of response I get and let ya'll know ...

I will also be getting hte site up on here for review once it is finalized ... still waitingo n the final image set. I built it in 2 weeks from scratch so HAD to use a centered table with one cell to speed along design which needs to really go away. But 2 weeks for design and content I hit my deadline with the right look and they were happy, I just didn't like the back end.

PM me if you wanna see the site ... :)

- Ken
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had top work quite a few sites like that ... usually I firstly try to persuade the client to add the "you have IE6 and you suck" but most of the times they don't budge and I implement an IE6 specific stylesheet.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

RT: This is a joint effort and I am the designer and part of the team aswell, not some random person they hired. So I'll push for the friendly warning ...

Although I must admit, I had IE6 on my machine until a week ago. Then I upgraded, shows how often I use IE :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts