IE7 SELECT Menu Behaviour

• nightblue
  • Born
  • Born
  • nightblue

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am working on a site that features a SELECT menu of currencies which contains over 40 currencies. This menu appears just under half way down the page.

When the user opens this menu in IE7, the menu expands to the *top of the page*, which means that the user has to move their mouse cursor all the way to the to of the page to get the first (most common) OPTION.

Seemingly, IE7 calculates in which direct most space exists, and creates the menu in that direction, regardless of what impact this has on the user, which seems a bit silly, given that this will push the first OPTION, which is usually the one most users will select, to the furthest point away from the mouse cursor!

Is there any way to force IE7 to expand the SELECT menu to the bottom of the page, or to limit the height of the menu?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think either of what you suggested is possible. You shouldn't be worrying about this - IE users are probably used to this "feature". :)
  • nightblue
  • Born
  • Born
  • nightblue

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
I don't think either of what you suggested is possible. You shouldn't be worrying about this - IE users are probably used to this "feature". :)

I'm not, but the guy that is paying me is, and he doesn't understand the whole "its an IE thing" line.

The only solution I have is to position the SELECT far enough up the page so that even on the smallest screens it will be in the top half of the page, so that the SELECT always expands down.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or maybe use JavaScript to scroll the page so that the SELECT is at the top of the page?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts