IE8 Textarea scrolling bug

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of you may have noticed weird scrolling issues in forms with textareas on ozzu if you use IE8. The bug itself actually isn't in ozzu, but with the IE8 browser. The IE team has confirmed the IE8 textarea bug here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedbac ... kID=432377

If you have a textarea with the width set to a percentage and you have more than enough text in the textarea to cause it to scroll then the bug can occur while you type text. While you are typing text the textarea will scroll up a few lines for each character you type. The same happens while you delete any text. This bug can be fixed by activating compatibility view, or it can also be fixed by implementing a CSS hack which is now done on ozzu.

So for instance if you have CSS specified like the following:

CSS Code: [ Select ]
textarea {
   height:250px;
   width:98%
}
  1. textarea {
  2.    height:250px;
  3.    width:98%
  4. }

It is very likely the bug will occur with IE8. To fix it you must set the width to be a non-percentage. You can still get it to act as if it was set to a percentage width by setting both min-width and max-width as well. So the following css code:

CSS Code: [ Select ]
textarea {
   height:250px;
   width:500px;
   min-width:98%;
   max-width:98%;
}
  1. textarea {
  2.    height:250px;
  3.    width:500px;
  4.    min-width:98%;
  5.    max-width:98%;
  6. }

Will allow to to behave as the way you intended without the bug. In older browsers that do not support min-width or max-width then the textarea will be set to a fixed width of 500px. For all other browsers though the min-width and max-width will override the width.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that certainly is an interesting solution.
  • alphacaveman
  • Born
  • Born
  • alphacaveman

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a CSS change to change the specs from percentages to a certain number of pixels. But WHERE do I make that change? I've looked in several .css pages and can't find what was typed in this thread.

Would you please point me in the right direction? I'm using SMF.

Thanks VERY much!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

The code won't be exactly as shown above. You just need to find the textarea css and change any percentage widths to how I did it above. Its possible that in your css that you won't see the word "textarea" as in your HTML there could be a class or ID that it is referencing it by. Find those and then see if you can find that in your CSS.
  • alphacaveman
  • Born
  • Born
  • alphacaveman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I did that yesterday figuring it might not be exact. But it didn't seem to fix the problem. I'm using the Classic Theme for SMF. Where would the CSS be for that theme? And, if you don't mind taking a look, what's the way it's coded?

I'm just okay with SMF stuff, so please explain stuff to me like I'm a forth grader. A slow forth grader.

I'm grateful for your help!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never used SMF, however CSS is CSS so it really doesn't matter what you are using. The fix is a purely CSS problem. Feel free to post your url like www(.)somesite(.)com and I will take a look (put parenthesis around the dots so that you can post to ozzu). Make sure you give me the exact link to the area on your site where you have that textarea causing you problems.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts