• Tazel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are iframes frowned upon so much?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure that iframes are frowned upon Tazel. I think there are several around here that frown upon "frames" sites (including myself) -- but I think iFrames are pretty workable and provide some flexibility in maintaining a frequently updated site. Frames on the other hand just seem to create more problems to overcome than what it's worth to make them.

The only downside I can think of to iFrames is the NS 4.x versions don't support them. But I don't think much of NS 4.x anymore either. We're way past NS 4 now. Anyone still using it needs to upgrade it. It's a part of internet history IMHO.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as frames, they're annoying for a real-world website, and the biggest problem with them is search engines. They don't read content inside frames and link to the full frame page with that content. They simply link to the page inside the frame, and then when people go to it, everything is instantly broken. This is the general argument with iframes too. Google & other search engines see the URL of the page inside the iframe, but they just link straight to the URL of the page inside the iframe (assuming that it's a decent content page worthy of being indexed in the first place).

iFrames are workable live in some situations. Such as advertisements. Many companies use iframes to display remotely hosted banner scripts, so that even if an ad takes a long time to generate (banner server down, etc.) the main page still loads pretty quickly (which is the key thing when offering advertising to other people, you still need to be able to make sure your site loads quickly).

The search engines is the main downside with the iframes, but for advertisements, Google's not going to index those anyway (Also, having those ads in an iframe can HELP the page's overall ranking, cuz Google doesn't see the actual page's content as looking "spammy" because that content is on a separate page).

With regular frames, I usually save those for HTML-based CD-Rom presentations. On the web, they generally don't work too well, but on CD-Rom presentations, when you know the exact specs of the machine it's going to be running on, the capabilities of the browser that's going to be viewing it, that you can go with appearance, look & feel over search-engine compatibility & optimization and the fact that it's unlimited bandwidth, you can get away with a lot more with regards to what technologies you can use and how much more you can use them (frames, iframes, flash, etc.) compared to on the web.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts