My iframe is misbehaving in Internet Explorer

• eyaanya
  • Born
  • Born
  • eyaanya

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have tried everything, and it could be that maybe I'm missing a "px" or a number or something somewhere but my site works in everything except internet explorer where the iframe keeps anchoring itself to the top of my wrap. Can someone please help me fix it?! Thank you so MUCH!

http://write.centerwest.org

the css is at http://www.centerwest.org/academics/write/main.css
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What have you tested your site in .... ?

In the new FF it looks good. Scroll bar is about half cut off though, same in Opera.

In IE7 it looks like this ... compressed a lil but still sort of together ... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/2180620629_9a2f5a2320_o.jpg

In IE6 it doesn't even hold together ...
  • eyaanya
  • Born
  • Born
  • eyaanya

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't mind about the scrollbar being cut off. I've tested it in the new FF and safari and opera. IE7 is where I'm having my major problems, the iframe just won't go where I want it to and that's the main problem.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

IE 6 is even worse my friend .... The header, side bar, then bottom, then main section is listed separately and centered. Check it out ... IE 7 looks great compared to it :)
  • eyaanya
  • Born
  • Born
  • eyaanya

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha ok I understand that it's not working but.. how do I fix it? I had to make this site off of a design by a graphic designer. They were VERY specific on how they wanted it to look so I HAVE to make it work..
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the problem is that you're defining "position:fixed;" for all of your container elements except "maincontent". I think in IE, the "maincontent" DIV is not falling into the same render flow as the other elements.

IMO, the scheme you're using to position things is not good. Margining isn't supposed to be used for positioning and negative margin values are always problematic. Also, the IFRAME you're using could be replaced with a scrolling DIV.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Digital Media ... Did you look at the site in IE6 ?

Eyaana,

Do you know css? I would probably use the css you have as a guide and rewrite it all testing in IE6, IE7, Opera/Safari, and FF ... that way you know what is causing problems.

Add each element one at a time and see where the problem occurs.

That would be the best way to troubleshoot the css issues IMO. If you build it in babysteps, then the error should point itself out rather quickly. I learned alot (if not most of) designing in CSS and table free on ozzu. The issues I hit laying out each item at a time and asked questions when needed and got it down with some time and effort on my end.

If you don't know CSS and need this done quick (I can't believe I am about to say this) go with a fixed position table design *shudders* ... all depends on how much time you can put in I suppose.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't look at this in IE6. Frankly, I don't see the need when it doesn't work in IE7.

I would not use the CSS you have now as a guide, personally. I would suggest starting over using one of three schemes; 1. natural render flow 2. float scheme 3. 'position'ing scheme(absolute or relative)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

DM,

It could at least guide them to what they want in FF as it works in that as a final product .... needs a re-code, but it can atleast show a final(ish) product to aim for in all browsers ... IMO. So aim for that with a new set of code and tweak the code till it's just right.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kbergmann wrote:
It could at least guide them to what they want in FF as it works in that as a final product
Well, I'm thinking it would be a negative to learn how to do the wrong thing right.

kbergmann wrote:
needs a re-code, but it can atleast show a final(ish) product to aim for in all browsers ... IMO.
I would really suggest that the poster use Photoshop or another suitable program to create a graphic for this. I call it a mock-up.

kbergmann wrote:
So aim for that with a new set of code and tweak the code till it's just right.
Everyone is, of course, entitled to his or her opinion. Do what you will. I would suggest, though, that you scrap your CSS, clean up the arrangement of your container elements and content in the markup and rewrite your CSS in a scheme that is more friendly to all browsers.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, new CSS set up and scrap the old.

I just like to work with visual aides if I have certain specs I need to meet :)

To each their own.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts