• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked the other monitors' color, brightness, and contrast settings?
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard of problems of this too. My friend had a plasma monitor and all of his worked looked fine to him, but darker to us. Also as lostin said, it really all depends on the settings of the monitor
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, like LIB says, the reason is that all the monitors are calibrated differently.

You could go out and buy 100 brand new identical monitors right now, bring them home, and every one will show slightly differently.

A monitor needs to be calibrated for correct colour, brightness & contrast output.
  • Michelangelouk
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem, one of my drawings on my site, it looks ok on my monitor
http://www.darrenfrodsham.pwp.blueyonde ... bloom.html

but when i went to a friends house and showed it to him it was so dark i could hardly see it
  • Justine
  • Justine

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know different monitors have different settings but I think Jako hit the nail on the head as I've written the site on my computers at home which both have plasma screens whilst the others computers I'd checked have normal monitors. Makes me think this must be a common problem...I wonder who has more of which screen type and therefore which the site should be designed for?? j
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have two differnt computers that i use, One has a regular monitor, the other is a flat screen monitor. And the way a website looks on both is incredible. The differences willl surprise you. A clean flash site on the normal monitor looks blocky and you can see image lines with the flast screen. Its a monitor thing I guess. Sucks though. What you think looks good other think its messt. *sigh* Ah well, until we have universal browsers, comps, monitors, etc. we will have to make do :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Plasma/LCD screens don't have the range that CRT's do anyway.

CRT's are far superior for graphics work.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive got a crt and lcd and the LCD blows the CRT out of the water!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

LCDs are technically incapable of showing the colour & contrast range that a CRT can.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe, I'm not so sure about that. A page I built 9 or 10 months ago had a blue banner at the top of the page. This baner was constructed of two images - one on the left and one on the right. Now it looked fine on my machine, but when I called the client to ask him what he thought (He has an LCD), he asked me why the right hand side of the banner looked slightly different to the left side.

Now I opened up the two sides in photoshop, and the left side was rgb(0,0,255), and the right one was rgb(0,0,252). He could see the difference. Now if that isn't a good colour range, I don't know what is.

I would take an LCD over a CRT any day. They are much more comfortable on the eyes, and just because they do or don't have the same colour range as a CRT, doesn't make them any worse.

As for the problem, i think it has something to do with "gamma". Check the gamma settings on your monitor and PC. I think it is supposed to be set at 2.2, but I'm not sure.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's true, LCDs are incapable of displaying pure black.

But, I'm coming from the angle of a photographer where colour & contrast accuracy between the screen & a real print is important.

I guess it depends how professional your needs are. As technology stands today, as I said, CRT is far superior to LCD in terms of colour & contrast reproduction. LCD just can't get that accurate.

Now, as to whether somebody can see the difference between pure blue, and 3 shades less pure blue, that's not a colour range, heh. And besides, 3 shades difference SHOULDN'T be noticable.

What about the few hundred colours near black that you can't distinguish between on an LCD?
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't know, I don't have an LCD. I WISH I did. I could throw this f*ing CRT out the window, it is a pain on my eyes and I'm sick of the dam thing. But I can't afford an LCD at the moment. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I don't think black matters as much as blue. And normally you have the contrast up bright enough that you can't tell that it is not, in fact, pure black. It is only when most of the screen is supposed to be black that you can actually tell.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Normally, if your monitor is calibrated correctly, pure black is pure black...

When the monitor is off, that's black. If black's not showing black when your monitor's on, it's not calibrated correctly :)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, CRTs don't do that either (or maybe it is just this one because it is so bad)

try this experiment. Take your CRT into a completely dark room, plug it in (with it switched off). Turn out all the lights, and turn it on and turn up the brightness and contrast to full. Notice how it gives off some light (not a lot, but a noticable amount)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but on a properly calibrated monitor, the brightness and contrast aren't full.

Hence my usage of the term "calibrated correctly" in my previous post :)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i don't know, I don't have an LCD. I WISH I did. I could throw this f*ing CRT out the window, it is a pain on my eyes and I'm sick of the dam thing. But I can't afford an LCD at the moment.

I have got an lcd, and regret it. The quality of crt's are so much better. I'm not an artist or photographer, but I do have a bitchin home cinema :) It's the same with TV's - everyone thinks plasmas are oh-so-cool, but it really depends on whether you want a monitor/tv that gives a good picture, or a monitor/tv to show off with.

If your crt is hurting your eyes that much then get a glare guard thing for like 15 quid.

For those of you who dont believe that color is better on crt - I googled and found an article that was very biased towards LCDs, but said this:
Quote:
For most office tasks the color and video quality of both LCDs and CRTs will be equivalent. For high end color graphics, CRTs can offer some advantages because LCDs can only display the colors available in the pixels, and so they can have less of a color depth than CRTs. Some LCDs (low cost, low resolution) have pixels that respond too slowly for accurate video rendering, and some tearing of the video image can occur,
which usually is not an issue for CRTs.

Your three shades of blue problem could probably be attributed to a "rounding error" as the lcd can't display two colours that close together it ended up rounding one up and one down.

3 shades of blue is not perceptable to the human eye - else we would be buggered doing any kind of blending :lol:
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

frist, I know this is pedantic, but it was 4 shades of blue.

Now I used to have a glare gaurd, it didn't help at all. I find that my laptop (and all other LCDs I have used) are much more comfortable on my eyes than any CRT. And most LCDs nowadays do not have the problem of pixels responding too slowly for video editing, only the really super-cheap bargain basement gear will have that problem.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry I can't resist:
Quote:
rgb(0,0,255), and the right one was rgb(0,0,252)

now get out your calculators boys and girls, and take 252 away from 255.....:D 3 shades :lol:

anyway, the video editing thing just happened to be in the quote, but the number of colours does still stand - on any tft. You just don't get so many colours. If the tft is doing the equivalent of rounding the colors because it couldn't display them properly then this could spread them more shades apart. Go ask the monitor manufacturers. Ask television manufacturers. They will tell you the same, it just is not possible to get the same colour depth.

On a separate note - is the refresh rate on your monitor turned up - it might help your eyes.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just set the refresh rate from 60 to 75 hertz, and haven't noticed any difference yet - my eyes are still sore as hell.

as for the 3 shades, ok well I stuffed up a bit on the maths there

the colours, OK, maybe you can't get the same colour depth. but after running with the refresh rate up for about 30 seconds I still prefer LCDs. I'll see what it's like in an hours' time.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The refresh rate should help after a little while - when I started my job in september I was getting one or two migraines a week. After turning the refresh rate it slowly died down. Don't expect instant results though :)

60 hz is far to low - your eyes have been getting knackered by flicker that you can't actually see but can sense.... 72hz minimum. Hope it helps

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts