Images

• sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

My site is very short of images,, actually I have none. I'm not a very good graphic designer, so you should know where my problem is. Anyone know where I could go for help. I need something to fill my site up. If anyone has any ideas feel free to let me know.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google search for stock images or royalty-free images. There are several good sites out there you can use to find some nice images to build a layout around. Good luck!

NOTICE TO OTHERS: This is NOT an invitation to spam - post links to sites and they will be removed! If you wish to contribute, suggest others ways in which sbronson can find content, but DO NOT SPAM.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the spam notice UPSGuy
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing against you. I've seen these types of questions turn into spam-fests where members sign up just to post their link and I'd rather you receive some genuine assistance. ;)

I keep this list of 25 royalty-free sites bookmarked, and I believe it's somewhat legit, as it ranks stock.xchng as #2 and that's one of my favorites.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your site is able to meet the terms of the creative commons-license then some excellent sources of images include Wikimedia Commons and Flickr.

For Flickr images, make sure that you specifically search for CC-licensed images - you can't use any old image from Flickr (but you still have several millions to pick from). Just make sure that you strictly follow the terms ans conditions of the license. Also note that there are many types of CC license, each with different rules that you must adhere to. You usually must give credit to the original creator of the work; some don't allow commercial use; some don't allow you to alter the work, while others do etc etc .... too much to list in a quick reply.

Other sources of images include any photographic works produced by US government agencies - such as the USGS, NOAA, USFWS, NASA etc. As long as you don't plan to sell the images or make massive amounts of cash by displaying them then it is generally ok (just read any usage guidelines first and follow the rules).

Finally, if using Wiki images I always try and contact the creator of the image, since people often upload things there that are not their own work and release them to the public domain - something they have no right to do. If in doubt, don't use 'em.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info,, I check em out and I will be professional about it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
I keep this list of 25 royalty-free sites bookmarked, and I believe it's somewhat legit, as it ranks stock.xchng as #2 and that's one of my favorites.

Oooo, oooo! SPAM!!

Nah, just kidding... good list. I'm glad I came upon it.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zwirko wrote:
If your site is able to meet the terms of the creative commons-license then some excellent sources of images include Wikimedia Commons

Just a quick legal note about this from last week:

http://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?titl ... did=849416

The upshot of which is that if you are in the UK some stuff which has made it's way into wiki commons *is* copyrighted there, but public domain in the US.

Kind of trivial and probably not "cause for concern" but interesting anyway.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
NOTICE TO OTHERS: This is NOT an invitation to spam - post links to sites and they will be removed! If you wish to contribute, suggest others ways in which sbronson can find content, but DO NOT SPAM.

Man UPS you always take all the fun out of it.

sbronson you might want to look at some of the cheaper stock sites. They have some really nice stuff and if your willing to spend 5 to 10 bucks you can walk away with some really nice stuff. Not to say that the free sites don't have some nice stuff I just find the good stuff is a little harder to find on them.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You regulars know the deal - legitimate sites always welcome, especially from you guys. Just trying to weed out the one-post-spammers up front. ;)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh your lucky I was just about to create a new account to plug http://www.MyTotallyWickedAwesomeFreePicsSiteIMadeJustForYou.com

hmmm maybe I should buy that domain.....
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol Nah, some troll will squat on it now just because you linked it.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the image ideas guys,, really appreciate it.
  • Billy77
  • Billy77

Post 3+ Months Ago

iStock and Fotolia...they have nice pictures, from which a few excerpts do not spend as much coal needs.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts