index page code error

• sensitive747
  • sensitive747

Post 3+ Months Ago

I designed website (from template) nationalvend.us.

I have to re-upload the index page almost every day do keep from defaulting to a place holder page.

Whats wrong with my code? Thanks, Chuck
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

can we see the code im not a mind reader! lol
  • sensitive747
  • sensitive747

Post 3+ Months Ago

the code is:
Code: [ Select ]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<!-- saved from url=(0033)http://www.nationalvend.us/ --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/show.body --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/show --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/rtl.html --><!-- Locale=en_US_ISO8859_1 --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/rtl.html --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/functions --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/navbar --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/navbar --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/functions --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/show --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/images --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/images --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/other/l11.settings.init --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/other/l11.settings.init --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/layout/l11.wait --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/layout/l11.wait --><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>National Fulfillment</TITLE>
  1. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
  2. <!-- saved from url=(0033)http://www.nationalvend.us/ --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/show.body --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/show --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/rtl.html --><!-- Locale=en_US_ISO8859_1 --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/rtl.html --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/functions --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/navbar --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/navbar --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/functions --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/show --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/images --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/images --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/other/l11.settings.init --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/other/l11.settings.init --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/layout/l11.wait --><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/layout/l11.wait --><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>National Fulfillment</TITLE>

Thanks, Chuck
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sounds like either you or someone else is inadvertently deleting your index page nearly every day, perhaps there's an errant cron-job/automated-task somewhere.
  • sensitive747
  • sensitive747

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many times it causes the browser to be slow and default to a 144 placeholder page. This has happened with two different hosting sites. Chuck
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

FYI: You haven't really posted your code... but from what I can see over there... why all that mess?

(The HTML comments).
  • sensitive747
  • sensitive747

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe some of the mess is causing this to happen?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well this line suggests to me that you're saving the page to your desktop from your browser, then opening it in notepad/dreamweaver/etc and copying what you see.

Code: [ Select ]
<!-- saved from url=(0033)http://www.nationalvend.us/ -->

If something is wrong with the code, it's going to be the code that you're re-uploading to the server. Perhaps there's a CGI/etc directive somewhere that causes the server to choke and the default error handler on the server is these placeholder pages you've mentioned.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Come to think of it, if those other lines in what you posted are being processed by the server, the "saved from" line that was likely inserted by a browser may very well be what's causing the problem if the page you're re-uploading has that. Maybe there's someone else that works on the site that could be doing it ?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats what brings me to think. Maybe the CGI script or some server related script reads through that and has that thing defined for it's own use, that's hidden from the view of anyone, and somehow, it got printed into the dump file or something and he re-uploaded and that thing is defined twice, confusing the script and sending the viewer somewhere else...
  • sensitive747
  • sensitive747

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I used Dreamweaver MX to take out all of the "trash" code, both before the HEAD, and at the bottom of the page, and re-uploaded. Everything seems to be fine now.

The cgi comment makes me suspect the code was possibly tampered with by someone with server access. Or maybe I did it myself. Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts