Indexing in search engines - meta tags, robots..huh?

• HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wanted to ask, will it work if I added the meta tag for keywords to get it indexed properly in search engines and how long does it usually take?

Also, I know about the robots.txt thing but as far as I remember it serves only to restrict directories from being indexed.

Since my keywords are a mix of English and Japanese, I was wondering if this
Code: [ Select ]
<meta name="description" content="HIRASAWA SUSUMU Transparent Sky 2032 PROJECT" />
<meta name="keyword" content="平沢進,Susumu Hirasawa,hirasawa susumu,hirazawa,平沢,進,平ら,系夜,P-モデル,Keiyoru,transparent,sky,project,トランスパレントスカイ,2032,プロジェクト,プレゼンテーション,P-MODEL,Mandrake,マンドレイク,Global,Trotters,核P-MODEL,Kaku,平沢感覚" />
  1. <meta name="description" content="HIRASAWA SUSUMU Transparent Sky 2032 PROJECT" />
  2. <meta name="keyword" content="平沢進,Susumu Hirasawa,hirasawa susumu,hirazawa,平沢,進,平ら,系夜,P-モデル,Keiyoru,transparent,sky,project,トランスパレントスカイ,2032,プロジェクト,プレゼンテーション,P-MODEL,Mandrake,マンドレイク,Global,Trotters,核P-MODEL,Kaku,平沢感覚" />

(not completely finished though, I'll be addind changes and re-upload my index.html) would work to get my page indexed.. someday. Also, does it also need a robots.txt to index by meta tags and/or it's done entirely by robots.txt?

Any advice on indexing in search engines greatly appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, and should there be a space after the comma that separates them or not?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think robots use meta tags anymore... they just look over the contents of the page(s) accessible to the robot and store things/statistics from there.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean the meta tags won't work for indexing?
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I'm panicking. How do I get the site indexed by the keywords and with the proper title and description from the meta tags after all?
</spam-posting>
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, the meta tags are for old old old robots (like... ummm... any ideas)... google and all the major search engines don't use them anymore... basically, the meta tags are for people who want to look at the source and/or for the admin's use...

Either that, or I'm wrong... someone correct me if I'm wrong
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

No that's right, it's not a bad idea to add them still ... they won't cause any harm as long as you don't spam those words. These days they look for things like headings <h1>-<h7> titles <title> paragraph <p> and other tags, so they actually read what's in there, so let's say you are targeting the keyword "cheese", you would want something like the following:
Code: [ Select ]
<head>
<title>Cheese Shop</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>The production of cheese</h1>
<h3>Inside the cheese factory</h3>
<p>Cheese is produced from milk, and can be produced from lots of types of milk, for example goat's cheese is made from goat's milk</p>
</body>
  1. <head>
  2. <title>Cheese Shop</title>
  3. </head>
  4. <body>
  5. <h1>The production of cheese</h1>
  6. <h3>Inside the cheese factory</h3>
  7. <p>Cheese is produced from milk, and can be produced from lots of types of milk, for example goat's cheese is made from goat's milk</p>
  8. </body>

Something like that will have the word cheese as a keyword ...
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aha, so I guess after I make my other pages that have more text on them, it'll actually catch the keywords I'm after, right? And also, these bots, crawlers or whatever, don't run a site-check only once, right? They do periodically and the site's indexing is updated periodically too, right? Though as far as I know it takes it quite a while..

And just thinking me in this post - if there was a paragraph, <p> in a table, will the bots read it?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

They should be able to read it...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago