Invalid page fault in Netscape 4.08

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been making some changes to the CSS at my site and now I get an invalid page fault when I try to view it with my old copy of Netscape 4.08 on Windows 98. I had the same problem once before and I took out some of the margins and padding and it seemed to clear up. Now it's back again and there is no apparent consistency - some pages load fine and others with the exact same layout crash the browser. I ran the CSS through the W3C validator and removed the only error (underscore in a style name), but that didn't help at all. I'm about ready to say goodbye to netscape 4.x, but some people still use it to view my site. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has some advice. The error I get is:

NETSCAPE caused an invalid page fault in
module NETSCAPE.EXE at 017f:00409104.
Registers:
EAX=00000260 CS=017f EIP=00409104 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=00ad54b0 SS=0187 ESP=008ff8d4 EBP=008ff9dc
ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=00b02100 FS=3b9f
EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=01cfd484 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 11 89 57 14 8b 4b 7c 83 f9 01 7e 19 8b 55 e4
Stack dump:
00b0220c 00b02100 00b25b11 bff7b9c5 817b8fec 00ad4970 78001de8 7803b600 008ff938 7800ccb1 00000009 7800cca4 009f8d2c 009f8d34 00000002 7803d600
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am curious if you have div tags on your site? I noticed that on the older Netscape with my site, it would crash if I had any nested div tags. As soon as I made sure there were no nested div tags, then Netscape no longer crashed.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also make sure you terminate all your tables, as I think that could possibly crash the browser as well.

Strange though, you probably are fine there because the W3C validator didn't find any problems. You might put a lower doctype version on the top so that you might pick up some problems with the validator. If you do not put any doctype then it will default to the latest transitional standards, I believe. If you put it to scrict, or put it to an earlier one, you might find more problems that way, as then it will show things that might not be supported.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a bunch of DIVs, but I don't think any are nested. I'll double check though, thanks.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only ran the CSS through the validator before, but when i did the html just now the validator had a fit over the third-party code for the site search, drop-down menu and paypal link that I added to my template a few weeks ago, so I guess I'll have to tweak what I can and lose the rest.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully that is the problem then, I didn't realize you only checked the CSS with the validator, even though I clearly see now you had said that.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found it - some /strong tags without the opening tags that were left over on a couple of pages from when I converted from a static site to a database driven site. I thought I had parsed out all the tags when I put the content into the database but apparently I missed two end tags somehow :oops:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool - good to see you figured it out. Ever wonder why people with
Netscape 4.0 just don't upgrade?? I wonder all the time....
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish they would. The new version of Netscape is pretty cool. I went to IE when Netscape 6 was late and seemed buggy on my computer, but Netscape 7 seems stable and I like it a lot.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, i like 7 a lot too. It's more like IE, and I think that was a smart
move on their part. 6 was just awful. I used for not even a day trying it
out and took it off it was so bad. I have 7 an 4.73 loaded to do testing
for my layouts/sites but that's about it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts