iPhone CMS

• webmattster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmattster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to start working on a site for a client who is traveling all of the time with their business. One of the requirements for their site is the ability to update it from an iPhone while they're on the road. Are there any recommended CMS or other systems that will allow the client to update the site from their iPhone, while stilling acting as a regular site when accessed by the public on a regular computer.

Thanks!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what software is available but I have a question. Doesn't a person like your client carry a laptop while he travels?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other way you could do this is by building a Database driven site with the Data being stored in a database, and then you can create an "admin" page where he can log in and change what he needs to ... This might be a little more trouble than a CMS but it will work if you have no other alternative ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
The other way you could do this is by building a Database driven site with the Data being stored in a database, and then you can create an "admin" page where he can log in and change what he needs to ... This might be a little more trouble than a CMS but it will work if you have no other alternative ...

Most CMS's are database driven and have an admin page.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
righteous_trespasser wrote:

Most CMS's are database driven and have an admin page.

Ah okay ... I have never used one before ... That actually makes sense, never thought about it ... sorry then ...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any CMS that uses HTML/Javascript (Wordpress, Joomla, ExpressionEngine, etc) should work fine on the iPhone. The iPhones implementation of Safari (webkit) is extremely good and will provide a similar experience to using a regular computer for updates.

The one issue of course is that the phone has to be in a place where an internet connection is available. If you need to build something that will hold updates and then push them when web connected, thats a whole other ball of wax.
  • webmattster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmattster

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I started looking into wordpress (my current favorite blog system), I found an already made plugin that has an admin interface for iPhone. It's called WPhone and can be found here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wphone/#post-2419

It allows you to check a box when you login to use the mobile interface instead of the regular admin interface.

Thanks for all your help! I think I'm going to go with WordPress.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts