iphone site vs blackberry site

• dannypembs
  • dannypembs

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a site: www energyskillswales co uk. its fine on a desktop browser and my iphone but its shyte on a blackberry. my css on the whole doesnt work. H1 tags are not coloured, links are underlined but not linking anywhere. hidden divs are showing on the site shifting content out of place.

i have a smarty tag here
Code: [ Select ]
{if false !== $smarty.server.HTTP_USER_AGENT|lower|strpos:'iphone'}
  {stylesheet name='iPhone' media='screen'}
{elseif false !== $smarty.server.HTTP_USER_AGENT|lower|strpos:'blackberry'}
  {stylesheet name='blackberry' media='handheld'}
{else}
  {stylesheet}
{/if}
  1. {if false !== $smarty.server.HTTP_USER_AGENT|lower|strpos:'iphone'}
  2.   {stylesheet name='iPhone' media='screen'}
  3. {elseif false !== $smarty.server.HTTP_USER_AGENT|lower|strpos:'blackberry'}
  4.   {stylesheet name='blackberry' media='handheld'}
  5. {else}
  6.   {stylesheet}
  7. {/if}
this works fine for the iphone.

any ideas as to why the blackberry wont work at all?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dannypembs
  • dannypembs

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have looked at these settings for the blackberry and can confirm that these are ok

Browser Configuration - Support Stylesheets
Browser Configuration - Support Javascript
Browser options - General Properties - Enable Javascript Location Support

i have also test with the<link> facility but still regardless of my trials i am still getting the same result. my iphone is cool yet the blackberry still refuses to play ball. links are still blue but unclickable. divs that i have hidden remain visible.

what else can i check?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

// Edit -- I had this page open hours ago and didn't see your new reply before I replied.

Have you looked at the source given to a blackberry ?
You're positive that the Blackberry isn't being given the Blackberry-specific stylesheet ?

I'm not completely familiar with smarty syntax, does that name attribute get used to construct the filename of the stylesheet, could it be possible that the case of the filename is wrong, I notice there's an uppercase P in the iPhone name.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which browser does a Blackberry use ?
I see you have that stylesheet set to "handheld", what happens if you change it to "screen" like you have for the iPhone ?
  • dannypembs
  • dannypembs

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, i have tried setting the stylesheet to screen. the links work thankfully but the display still is not rite. i even see the favicon i set which is refreshing. no 'visibility: hidden' or 'display: none' seems to work. elements that are in the template seem to show on the blackberry.

on my iphone the display is perfect. i have set the font base to 30px and used em to scale up or down. i set it to 30 so as to not use the zoom. the links display right, the display:none works as it should. i have no problems with the iphone. the blackberry on the other hand does not work. i have used Openwave Gateway, MS Pocket IE, Microsoft IE and so far i get the same result. while the page is loading i see it is loading and processing script. sadly this does not make any difference to the outcome.

so far the difference between handheld and screen is that the links work on screen, the different colour assignments comes thru. on both the elements that are hidden in the stylesheet does not come thru at all.

the stylesheet name is iPhone because thats how i named it. i have also named the stylesheet for blackberry 'blackberry' with no uppercase lettering at all.

the blackberry i am now testing is newer than the prev one. (its a wide screen one) apart from that i am still looking for a solution to get iphone and blackberry working in unison

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts