Irritating Oversights

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

As people who both design and use web applications we tend to see things while browsing that may irritate us before it would the average visitor simply because we can immediately think of something that's missing or could be done in a more visitor-friendly way.

Some of us have the luxury of knowing how to work around these aggravating issues ourselves with combinations of advanced browser features such as User Stylesheets, User Javascript, and Greasemonkey Scripts. Some of us also have the luxury of having someone familiar with such things in our Fave-5, My Circle, speed-dial, or down the hall. Some issues however, we just ignore in silence because we don't visit the site often enough to warrent the time required to work around the issue.

I'm sure some of us already have QC lists that we go through towards the end of projects, but those lists only include things we know about.

Well, that's what this sticky list is for. :D

Here's a few things to think about before replying.
  • If someone didn't read these points they're probably not going to read your reply either, but a moderator will always read what you've written when you use the red report post button in the top-right corner of an offending post
  • Using this list at least once with an actual project before you contribute to it will reduce the likelihood of you repeating something that's already been said without requiring you to waste time checking to see if it's already been said
  • Screnshots are sometimes worth more than 1,000 words
  • If you limit replies to one unique or two similar issues, it will be easier to refer to an issue in conversation by using the post bookmark icon in the top-left corner of each reply
    Attachments:
    bookmark-post-icon.jpg
  • If you leave a link with the anchor text "CHECK" pointing to the post bookmark icon in the post before yours at the bottom of your reply, you can start at the last reply in this thread and use those links to make this function like an actual checklist
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Including anchors or ID attributes with section headers, but not providing any way for visitors to take advantage of them when they're at that section.

For instance if I had the following code
Code: [ Select ]
<h3 id="sec1-1-1">Section 1.1.1</h3>
<p>Some...</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>... text</p>

<h3 id="sec1-1-2">Section 1.1.2</h3>
<p>Some...</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>... text</p>
  1. <h3 id="sec1-1-1">Section 1.1.1</h3>
  2. <p>Some...</p>
  3. <p>...</p>
  4. <p>... text</p>
  6. <h3 id="sec1-1-2">Section 1.1.2</h3>
  7. <p>Some...</p>
  8. <p>...</p>
  9. <p>... text</p>

I've lost count of how many times I've looked at a pages source to see if there were any hidden anchors like this when I wanted to link someone to a specific section of a document but didn't see any obvious links around.

It is nice to have the title text itself be a link to itself, but adding a link between the title and the first paragraph is also nice when adding links within the <h*> elements would cause conflicts with style.

CHECK

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts