Issue with page in IE but not in FF. Can't figure it out...

• RichardWing1
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone.

I have been trying to figure out this issue for some time on my own through various forums and html discussions. I can't seem to figure this out so I am hoping someone here is up to taking a closer look at what I have in order to make it work.

The page here http://www.bestdamnnetwork.com/demo/ looks and works correctly when viewed in FF but does not work as intended in I.E.

What happens when viewed in I.E. is it positions my main table down the page and not at the top like it does in FF.

I have gotten far enough to know how to make the page look correctly in I.E. by taking out or commenting out this line within the code which is the line below the body tag.

Code: [ Select ]
<a id="leftlink" href="http://www.bestdamnnetwork.com" target="_blank"></a>

What that line does is make the floating banner logo that is fixed on the top left of the page be hypelinked to a url and it opens in a new window. I plan to use it across many of my sites for branding purposes.

If I remove this line then the site looks fine in both browsers but then I don't get the branded logo hyperlinked as I want like it works in FF when the line of code is in place.

Would someone here mind taking a look at the source in the demo folder.

Maybe you can see what is missing or think of a work around to accomplish what I am wanting to do so that it will work in both FF and I.E.?

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Richard Wing
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your page is putting IE into "quirks mode". You can fix this problem by simply adding tbe appropriate doctype so that the page forces IE to run in standards mode.
  • RichardWing1
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried both transitional and strict and get the same issue.

Would you mind providing specific doc type code that I should place in there please?

Thank you for your assistance.

Richard
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Float the link left... with position absolute.... and if the image would stay there use left and top attributes to make the link seem to be where it needs to be... unless the link is the image.

I know this is a dirty fix and not the best (or good by the good practices), but this is what comes to mind at 3.31 AM without actually thinking :lol:

[EDIT:] On second though, why don't you make it an image inside of a link? And not a background image?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts