Javascript to stop copying of content

• ChelcoRob
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChelcoRob

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically we have a page on our website which we would like to stop people being able to copy/steal the content from.

We found a website which uses such a script called metrolyrics.com. The script that they use to protect their lyrics is exactly what we need for our site so I have had a look at it and copied the script but we find that when applying it to our own site, the protected content does not show in Internet Explorer, but it works perfectly in FireFox.

Our link is here if someone might be able to take a look at it. I am aware that it may not conform to web standards or best practices (I wasn't the original designer of this website) but I will be working on it to clean up some of those issues if I can get this script to work. I have slightly modified the original javascript from the lyrics site and you can find this here.

And a quick note, the javascript reload on our page was to work around some issues that we had with the anchor links not working on the protected content.

Or if someone could come up with a better solution to stop the average user from being able to copy the content that could also be worth a try. The main purpose of it is to prevent our competitors from copying the page and offering the same products as us. Obviously tech savvy users may be able to get around this, but it is mainly to stop the average office worker. I will also be obfuscating the source code of the content when we get this working but I have left it as it is for now so the code will remain easily readable.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're chasing a rainbow bud.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

ChelcoRob wrote:
Basically we have a page on our website which we would like to stop people being able to copy/steal the content from.

I have had a look at it and copied the script

So you took someone else's script to protect a page you don't want other people to take??? :scratchhead:

You'd probably be better off getting copyrights and patents for your products so you have a legal alternative if someone copies your products than trying to hide your site from that stuff. Just my $.05
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
So you took someone else's script to protect a page you don't want other people to take??? :scratchhead:

I am so glad somebody said that.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This has been discussed many times here. The WWW is an open medium. If you don't want people copying something, don't show it to them.
  • ChelcoRob
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChelcoRob

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fair enough then just thought someone might be able to help. I understand about taking the script but I did intend to change it substantially if I could get it working at all so the end result wouldn't have been like the original.

And I know about the WWW being open too, the page will eventually be viewable by logged in users anyway so we will be able to see who views it.

Nevermind I will look for help elsewhere.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attachments:
doof.jpg

Oh well, I tried.

I probably shouldn't have said anything, I mean, it's not like I was on a team who developed the only ISO 9001-2000 certified Javascript exam or spent 5 years in an appartment developing and breaking applications in my free time or anything.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts