Layer and Tables :S ?

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all..

I have made myself a nice little html based website here http://www.nucleo.ashst.com

i used dreamweaver mx to help me out because i am a complete novice..
when i was figuring out how to use it i simply bunged loads of layers on lol, and well, it works but not too well on different browsers. on a different forum i was told to use tables instead.

so here is my question,
when i did use layers i could move whatever i put into the layer when ever i wanted, but with tables i couldn't
so, do i have to put the tables into different layers to get it to work properly on different browsers.

my site looks fine on mine but i had to offset the layers to make then site nicely on my browser. will i still have to offset the content if i put tables into the layers?..

or i am going about this all wrong lol
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok
what i said above didn't work.
i sliced my website lovely in fireworks, i sliced it so that all the separate parts had their own table spot (for easier text input) put it into dreamweaver and it worked a charm...

until i had to input text, i click on a bit (table block, with image in) and the image either dissapears or shoots down under the text. How do i put text or images above/on top of other images.

I thought that adding layers would sort this out, but if i do that then i would have to offset everything that i put in the layer to make it sit perfectly on my site. Is there a way to make layers but make them site where ever i put them..

please help, i am trying to get this to work but i am struggling as to which is the best way to go about it, i know that if i do offset the layers that other browsers will have difficulty viewing my website. the person informed me to use tables instead..but with tables i can't have images overlapped by text :roll:

help!..

btw, putting loads of code here wont help, thats why i am using dreamweaver

thanks in advance
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok try this:

When you make the table, highlite one cell and see go down to properties and you have No Wrap then a check box and then BG and a text box, then the crosshairs and the folder. Click the folder and choose your image. Set width/heigth of the cell to the image's dimensions.

See if that works for ya.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm, i think i understand what you mean, but fireworks has already created the table layout for me, i sliced all the images and it gave me the html to re-make the picture.

but in the table that it created to put the images in, i want to be able to write over the image, but without moving the image underneath...

hope it makes sense, if not i will add screenshots lol
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey hey!

thanks alot, i never thought about setting the picture as the background to the table!....nice idea, and now i can write text over it!

one small problem lol, well, if i play around with it more i will be ok, but now when i try to put text in it is in the center of page...not central horizontal, but center verticle..

i am sure i will sort it, thaks alot!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

There should be a pull down in the properties for that cell that says "middle" set it to top :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup, found it and that did the trick, thx alot, now i can get on with my webdesign lol
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Best of luck! :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, i will put it up for review when it is finished :lol: