Layout question

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need a few opinions, I am working on a new header (for god knows how long) and I am thinking about going a route like the header here, make the header and have a repeat background after a certain point.

or I am also thinking about taking everything and putting it in its own table that is centered or possibly aligned to the left.

So what do you think would be better practice?

Right now I am leaning toward the table that is centered
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not have a header that stretches full width and the body fixed width :D

Kinda like the microsoft site, but centered.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I had a problem with my last site when I did that, on higher resolutions it was really pixelated and looked like crap...Also my header is flash, and has a flash menu in it
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It all depends on the function of the site. Form and function have to have equilibrium. When I say form, I mean more than just the aesthetic. I mean the aesthetic, the flow, the usability, etc. Something I always find helpful is to observe someone who's never seen my site, going through it for the first time. I like to see where they click and how they get around. I also like to quiz them afterwords to see what they remember from the site. (My poor wife). I guess it's like a focus group, but with only one individual at a time.

The tiling background thing is easy. if you're going to go 100% width, it's really the best and easiest thing. Are you confused on how to set up a header with a tiling background?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no dM I know how to do it, I have done it before. Although I haven't done it with a flash header, but I don't see how that could be different.

I think I will probably end up going with your idea dm. Good idea on the focus group (wife) I ewill have to do that as well.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, I didn't think YOU would have trouble with it. I guess I was confused by the pixelation comment.

:oops:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i was cofused by rtm's comment on 'stretching' my header. because that is what i did with my last graphic header. looked fine on 1024, but it stretched out on higher res. but maybe he meant with the tile.
probably so, because M$'s site is tiled like that.

I didn't know how to do it when I first wrote my last site, and I didn't care about that particular site so I didn't bother to change it.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, sorry vlad, my bad. I was thinking of a div that stretches in width and has a tiling background image.

:oops: sorry everyone
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

well first you'd have your header at the top in the middle thats set to a certain width...

Say your header is 100px high and 600px wide.

You'd have 3 tables on the top for the header.

What I do is I take the 100px high but 1px wide part and save that as a background.

Imagine 3 tables for the header like i said

| 1 | header #2 | 3 |
|______|___________ ____|________|

For the table labeled "Header #2", you'd have the background for that table set as the actual heightxwidth of the image and the background set AS the image. for Tables #1 & #3, You would have their backgrounds set as the image that is 100px height, 1px width...EXCEPT if you want it stretched, you would keep the background images height="100" BUT the width="100%".

Notice I put percent.

This making the header image stay in the center, but if the window is enlarged, it will stay except for the side images that only stretch their width.

Further explanation...Message me. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts