Legal question

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really know where else to post this, but I figured that some webdesigners might know:

I want to put up a site that displays prices for a particular service offered by other websites, e.g. the basis price, any additional features + upgrades, the method used, etc.

My question is: am I allowed to list services/products offered by other websites and display their prices online in a list? Do I need any legal disclaimers?

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think so.....

Uh you run into problems if you get the prices wrong as this can be seen as slanderous or something. In the uk we get quite a few adverts on the telly where banks basically list their rates against their competitors and show the difference. As long as you stay 100% up to date with the prices then you shouldn't have any problems.

Personally I wouldn't wanna touch that one myself!
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm.

That's why I was asking about some kind of disclaimer, or something that would say: prices are accurate as of [date]. Maybe I could send a spider to their pages and (erk) extract the prices to keep them up-to-date.

But basically, if I get the prices right --- then there's not much they can do really, right? The problem is, those services that are more expensive aren't going to win out against their cheaper competitors.

Darn it. Maybe I could just list their URL's and provide a brief, harmless, description. But I would really prefer to be able to list their prices...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dr nick. When it comes to legal questions, it's always best to consult with a lawyer (God help me for saying that -- most lawyers should be tarred and feathered - or shot on sight, in my opinion) -- but you need to check on the laws in Germany (assuming your Frankfurt location is the German one) and go from there. All you are likely to get by asking a bunch of us webmasters are opinions, unless any of us have already done this.

I can forsee upfront that some of your competitors might take exception to you comparing their prices and offerings to yours.
  • gonetwork
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

just ask the people before doing it :)
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

THe best suggestion yet. Ask the companies if they have a problem with it. They may or may not but you will never know if u dont ask right! And ATNO, i hate to disagree with a moderator :shock:, But all Lawyers arent bad. I have one on retainer (you would surprised how cheap it is) and I get legal advice with no consultation fee. I mean if you dont know your rights or the laws then you have none. Just my op about lawyers. I like mine (he just got me out of a traffic ticket :oops: )
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the comments. I just wish I had to time to sort out the legal stuff myself. I guess I'll start by putting up links to other websites, and then asking them if they mind whether or not I list their prices and offers. Heck, maybe even they can do that themselves, and if they don't want to be listed, their loss right!!???
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats the way to do it!!!!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

most sites won't mind as long as you are advertising - it's free advertising lol. But make sure they are ok with it first
  • Matthew Chase
  • Matthew Chase
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe if you are not actually listing a webhosting service of your own (which would look like advertising your own while slandering others) and are not charging money for this service you could put whatever you want on it and they can't touch you (not to say that's a good idea because they will figure out a way if you're being vicious).

If it is just a personal site you shouldn't really have to worry about any legal rammifcations if you're doing it honestly. You may want to let users know the date in which the prices were last updated so they know if it is too long after that date they might not be finding the price you've listed.

If you're not doing it for money and aren't intentionally trying to slander any company you should be more than safe. If you're really worried about it though you should contact a lawyer knowledgable with such issues.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

atno,
Quote:
God help me for saying that -- most lawyers should be tarred and feathered - or shot on sight

lolololol but yes you are right...with you on that one...
:D
Good luck dr nick!
suzie.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts