Links workin IE 7 but not Firefox

• fritzwun
  • Born
  • Born
  • fritzwun

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have added a textbox as a site map, with a list of links as a sidebar on each of my Web pages. They work fine in IE 7, but not at all in Firefox. Other links work fine in both browsers. Microsoft Publisher was used to create the Web pages.

My site is http://www.photowiz.org. A solution is urgently needed, as I've just started paying Google and Yahoo for hits!

Thanks.

--steve
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Steve,
Unfortunately, your site is a bit of a mess right now, making it very difficult to trouble shoot. MS Publisher should not be used to make web pages, period.

I'm afraid there is no simple solution. IMO, any solution would be like putting new tires on a car that's been totalled/wrecked.

Perhaps someone with more...um..."experience"...er...using Publisher can offer you more hope.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this is a good start to show you what publisher does in the background while you're not looking ...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I'm afraid there is no simple solution. IMO, any solution would be like putting new tires on a car that's been totalled/wrecked.

Amen to that. Man normally I can take an office document and run it through HTML Kit to strip the M$ garbage, but that just totally wrecks the page. (lol it even stripped the style sheet).

The problem isn't on the main page, it's on the services.htm page and the navigation on the few other internal pages. I really have no idea why you have five links pointing to services.htm and two other links leading to pages with exactly the same content, but that's the page that is primarily broken. And Microsoft generates so much crap code it's impossible to fix it by troubleshooting the 200+ code errors already pointed out by the validator.

You really should have figured this out before you started paying Google and Yahoo, because right now, to be blunt, your site sucks and the only way to fix it is completely redo it in something other than publisher, or pay somebody that knows how to design web pages to do it. And honestly I wouldn't even waste the effort. I think you chose to do something that isn't going to generate you enough income to even keep your site online for very long.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, there is a bright spot here?
(I didn't want you to think everyone was bashing you - they're really just being honest)

You've got all your content and layout ideas done. That's a good bit of the work that goes into a website.

Personally, I could rebuild this site in an afternoon of diligent work. I think any webdever worth their salt could. So if you were going to hire someone to help you, which would be my recommendation, you could get the work done very cheaply.

If you wanted to do it yourself, I think you could probably get to a reasonable state in a week, or so - assuming I'm assessing your skill level correctly.

Your layout is simple. Your graphics are simple. Your content is already structured correctly. Like I said before, that's a great deal of the work already done.

//btw: Why is this a *.org?
  • fritzwun
  • Born
  • Born
  • fritzwun

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I especially appreciate the "your site sucks." That's candor for you, and I can't disagree. My biggest mistake, really stupid, was not checking out the competition. So I agree: this site will probably not last long.

Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment.

(P.S.I solved the immediate problem by removing the gradient fill in the Site Map text box.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts