Loading is too slow... smaller navigational menus available?

• webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Deleted
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

The website loaded very quickly for me. Then again, I am on DSL.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a script that will compress the code for you. Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/7577.html

Hope this helps.

~Cazpian the 11th
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings,

Moses08, I'm glad that the pages loads quickly for you. Thank you for letting me know.

Cazpian, the download link from the hotscripts.com page you linked to does not work. Do you have the direct download link for the compression script?

Thank you both.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aside from the expandable top-menu, the side menu effects could be done completely with css. Set display:block and do your border and badding effects using css. Search engines will like you more too since there's less code to wade through. But your javascript seems pretty light, anyway.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

TBH I would go for a different script. Those 3 javascripts you have are over 25kB, 550 lines of code in one of them.

This is why I really hate dynamic drive, the scripts on there are so badly written it's unbelieveable. And then I have to listen to everyone going on about how great the site is grrrrr.

Anyway, if you cannot write the script yourself, you are just going to have to look around. But don't just plug and play the first script you find. Check the filesize and efficiency first.

If you are any good with javascript and CSS, then check out eric meyer's pure CSS menus, and alistapart.com suckerfish menu:

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns

You are unlikely to find a multi-level dropdown menu that is as lightweight and stable as that. Plus it puts all your links into lists for accessibility
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings,

gsv2com - thank you for the input. I'll work on putting all the code into one simple CSS attribute.

trm223 - Those are great sites you recommended. I chose dynamic drive because I've known about it for years, but I will look around some more.

Those two web sites you recommended are a great start to show me how small a menu can be.

Thank you both.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

*Throws rtm a high-five*

Good luck webinv.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a version of it myself a few weeks back. Before I saw the suckerfish at ALA. I just thought I would mention that to get multiple levels working in IE I had to do a fair amount of hacking, including fixing a 3 pixcel error (there is something about 3 pixcels in IE, 3 different bugs I have come accross that all have 3 pixcel discrepancies. It's like seven and forty in the bible....)

http://www.caffeinefuelled.net/richard- ... /menu.html

This isn't the most up-to-date version, which is sitting on my computer at home. The code for the final version looks rather different, I will dig it out and update that online file when I get home.

~10 lines of completely generic JS, beat that dynamic drive :P :lol:

webinv, I just have a problem with dynamic drive in general, I wasn't having a go!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice job rtm. Good stuff. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts