logo design software?

• andy814
  • Born
  • Born
  • andy814

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any suggestion about which software to buy for designing professional logos?
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Illustrator. Personally, I use FreeHand but I don't believe they make that anymore. You could probrably buy the last version of it somewhere. It's cheaper than Illustator. Any vector based program will do for creating logos. You can also do vector work in Photoshop.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop CS3 is not too bad, but I heard that vector based logos are a good choice so I can recommend Coral Draw. I believe it does vector based images.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to design a professional logo there's no point in anything other than vector software. A true logo is intended to be applied to everything from a business card to a shopping bag to an airplane tail. Vector formats are important since they use a mathematical equation to represent shapes instead of a group of pixels. These equations allow you to scale an image to any size without any loss in quality.

Most of the professional design industry uses Adobe's Illustrator for everything vector (although inDesign or Quark may be used for text based logos).

However, I've been hearing a lot of good things about InkScape lately and its available free under the GNU license.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OriginNO_II wrote:
Illustrator. Personally, I use FreeHand but I don't believe they make that anymore. You could probrably buy the last version of it somewhere. It's cheaper than Illustator. Any vector based program will do for creating logos. You can also do vector work in Photoshop.

I didn't know that Photoshop created vector based logos. Other people told that photoshop can't do that and yoy're contradicting them. Who's right?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fonts and anything that uses a path or shape tool are vector in Photoshop. However, as soon as you add something like a drop shadow that is raster. Also when you save an image from Photoshop almost every file type outputs a raster image.

Photoshop (at least the last few versions) can produce SOME vector work but its hard to keep everything vector and its not very easy to output. If you really want to do much of any vector work use an illustration program like Illustrator/Freehand if you want to do pixel based image editing use like Photoshop/GIMP.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts