PC or MAC for Designing Websites ?

• littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

My question is and im sure a topic like this has been opend in the past, but im just wondering if you use a mac or a pc for your webdesign work, and if you use a mac, please let us know why and if you use a PC also let us know why.

I use a PC and have been for over 15 years now, started with PC back in the DOS days so im use to the platform and programming capabilities in terms of open source some what now with XP, i did use Mac's in art school and well, it was to simple for me, although the graphics and OS interface is much cleaner and crisper, i just cannot use a mac, to simple for me.

How about you guys?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sold Macs before I really knew what they were. Was pretty good at it too. I think I was one of two sales guys that knew what they were. I too use PC's. Mac's just baffle me. So does Linux for that matter.
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya i never got into linux but did try it out for a bit, nothing to rave about hehe
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I wasn't a gamer and had the money I would buy a Mac,
If I wasn't a gamer (wine-hq works, but not all the time) and wasn't photographer/designer (gimp may be good but it's not the professional tool to use and means nothing on a resume), I would just use linux.

So currently I run a windows environment, with a second HDD with Ubuntu on it.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows for me ... just always been on it ... I have worked on a mac a few times in class, but it wasn't something that interested me very much ... I have never gotten into any type of unix/linux system, so I don't know what they are like ...
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a windows because its what I have always had I have never tried a mac or linux but is someone would make an OS that didn't crash just because you open 2 programs at once I would use that.
Mind I not sure but I think that MAC's never get viruses
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Mac (OS X) and PC (Vista/XP) almost interchangeable on a daily basis. I'd love to be all mac based since the OS rarely crashes, things really are plug and play (never have driver issues) and the OS isn't bloated and resource hungry (OS 10.5 uses about 4% of my system resources where vista frequently uses upwards of 30%). On top of that OSX is a fully threaded 64bit OS so things like Photoshop and Cinema 4D run much faster on a mac with similar specs to my pc.

Unfortunately the Flash development environment has been very unstable on Mac's until CS3 so my current employer has been reluctant to upgrade to Apple hardware.

Since I don't do any .NET or SQL the Mac is a very nice system that doesn't get in the way of me doing my day to day job.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows! But only because I have never really had the extra funds to allocate to a Mac.

I don't see anything wrong with either - as long as you know how to utilize the tools available.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Windows because that's the only browser I know how to use. Never really got into anything else.

Well, I've used Macs many times at school and no matter how badly I tried to crash one, I never succeeded :(
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use PC mainly because I've always had a PC or two. I've tried Mac but I can't afford one at the moment. I've tried linux but that requires quite a bit of knowledge before you use it.
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think just the fact that mac's mouse has one button is something i never got use to, have they changed this, do macs now have a mouse with multiple buttons?
I have a logitech G7 that has 5 buttons on the mouse and i use all the buttons, and a mac for what i know has one, so hmmmmmm
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I sold Macs before I really knew what they were. Was pretty good at it too. I think I was one of two sales guys that knew what they were. I too use PC's. Mac's just baffle me. So does Linux for that matter.

And the whole thing... lol I think that kind of contradicts each other... unless all the others were so ignorant on Macs that they didn't knew what Macs were entirely while you new it was a computer... or what do you mean? Maybe I'm just being a little too critical here :scratchhead:
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

littlephoenix wrote:
i think just the fact that mac's mouse has one button is something i never got use to, have they changed this, do macs now have a mouse with multiple buttons?
I have a logitech G7 that has 5 buttons on the mouse and i use all the buttons, and a mac for what i know has one, so hmmmmmm

Yes the mighty mouse has 2 buttons and a scroll, but you can connect any USB mouse to a mac just like you can a PC
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
littlephoenix wrote:

Yes the mighty mouse has 2 buttons and a scroll, but you can connect any USB mouse to a mac just like you can a PC

Also, they work just as well if not better because you can program each key. Much like you can in most linux distros.
  • dapezboy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Hawaii

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a PC, because that's all I own.
But, if I were to get a mac, I would use that (or not).

I think, actually, I would just stick to PC, because I use Microsoft Expression Web 2, (which is pc only) as well as some other's which are for both OS's. So, its really a hard decision for me.

But, lets go with PC.
  • Travis Coats
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Travis Coats

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mac all the way. I am a composer first and foremost, and the Mac platform offers extreme performance and excellent stability, considering the competition, when it comes to high-end audio editing apps like Cubase(Twin dual-core 3.0gHz Xeons!!) and huge VST sound libraries(more HDD than CPU)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows, because I can run IE natively.
  • ancary
  • Born
  • Born
  • ancary

Post 3+ Months Ago

I design my web page by PC,and edit the HTML.For MAC ,I have use it edit picture.I never design web page by MAC.
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry to say but MAC is done !!

there is nothing to make MACs standout from the PCs apart from the price :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a PC because it's what I have access to.

Feel free to send me a Mac to play with for a few weeks, I'll be happy to take it for a test drive and send it back with an unbiased review. Hell, I'll even give you a biased review if you let me keep it. :D
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Windows, because I can run IE natively.

=[[[ spork.... how could you?? =[ *shudder*
you can also install IE in linux >.< probably the easiest way is IEs4Linux

i use a PC.
and i use Linux.
its s0 easy to setup servers so you can test things locally. all you have to do to get a web server running with php, mysql, phpmyadmin, ....etc is execute one command >.< nothing more needs to be configured and it'll work. (although one may want to set a mysql root password)
i can use Windows if i have to, but i definitely prefer linux.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all; Who cares? Not me.

Secondly, I use Windows XP. I make front-end stuff mostly - web, print and multimedia. Most of the people using the stuff I create and most of the people I do work for are using Windows XP, so it makes sense like that.

:)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:

Sure you do, why else would you comment on the subject ? :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
digitalMedia wrote:

Doh!!!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
digitalMedia wrote:

exaaaactly.
so are you saying that just because what..70? ich habe keine ahnung...percent of the people that visit your site us XP, that that's the only target market you're going to design for?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
exaaaactly.
so are you saying that just because what..70? ich habe keine ahnung...percent of the people that visit your site us XP, that that's the only target market you're going to design for?

Hehehe. Yeah, that is what I'm saying. Not the only target audience, but the primary one, anyway. :) It makes it more convenient when you work in the same environment.

I should have said, I've been stupid enough to participate in this debate more than once for about 12 years and the only thing I can figure is that it comes down to personal preference in the end.

There, damnit! I've said my peace. Never again! (Did that sound hollow?) :lol:
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm, after you asked if it sounded slightly hollow in my head >.<
still not sure how the hell you could prefer IE :/
but, *shrug*, whatever makes your skirt rise i guess..
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer BeOS.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm i've never tried it but it sounds like they had a good idea.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
mm, after you asked if it sounded slightly hollow in my head >.<
still not sure how the hell you could prefer IE :/
but, *shrug*, whatever makes your skirt rise i guess..

Well, I actually use 5 browsers, oops...6 now, because I'm always doing some development work. I tend to just use the browser that's on top. However, if there aren't any browser open for some reason, I would use IE7. It's just a browser, I like it and you don't. Sorry it perplexes you.

The thing I can't get over is why I keep participating in this thread. Really! I can't help myself. It's like a black hole pulling me into nothingness or incredible denseness. It's the exact same conversation that I've been having for years. That's what perplexes me.

/me slaps myself around a bit with a large trout

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 42 posts