Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 6.1

• HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've decided to remake my site, without using so much "deprecated" things like an endless maze of tables, and I wanted to ask, is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX (Version 6.1) a good editor to begin experimenting with?

For some reason, I just can't get into all the new ways of HTML, that with the div-s and span-s and their class-es and style-s and id-s and.. ya.

Oh, by the way, are CSS tables a good idea?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any text editor is good for well formed HTML. If you're looking for a WYSIWYG tool, there are some out there, however, they will never be able to create REALLY clean code.

Tables styled with CSS are good for the display of tabular data. Using a table for layout, whether or not it's styled with CSS, is generally frowned upon.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Any text editor is good for well formed HTML. If you're looking for a WYSIWYG tool, there are some out there, however, they will never be able to create REALLY clean code.

I agree with this. But you can still learn it by using the "half-code and half-design view". This way, you can see if any of the codes are too much and you will find out if you need to clean up. This option I think is available in almost all adobe "dreamweaver" products.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm.. I see. But I guess my version is old? It's not Adobe, it's still Macromedia.
Anyhow, thanks for the replies, more suggestions are welcome!
By the way, is the <li> tag deprecated?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

HKt0p5 wrote:
By the way, is the <li> tag deprecated?

I think it is going to depend on how your, a more specific code is going to be written. Because, I faced with some deprecation issue last time I used another scripting language -- but it still managed to be used. (functioned as it is). But it is advised to not use it as it could cause problems down the road in your web designs/development.

If you mean something like this:
Code: [ Select ]

<ol type="I">
   <li>Apple
   <li>Orange
   <li>Banana
   <li>Coconut
</ol>

2. <ol type="I">
  3.    <li>Apple
  4.    <li>Orange
  5.    <li>Banana
  6.    <li>Coconut
  7. </ol>

It is not deprecated. I tried it last Tuesday with a TextPad on Firefox browser.

However, I am not sure how you are going to put the whole scripts. So I can not tell for sure.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't mean ordered list. I just want menu links in <li>..well, because of the dot thingy it puts in front. Adding type only gives alphabetical, roman or roman numeral enumeration ("enumeration"- this word spelling correct?).

However, let me try explain more clearly.
For example, THIS PAGE is supposed to look like THIS (ignore the contents differences, I'll explain! I hope your PC has Japanese text support..) but! - first, you notice the terrible difference, no? And, if you look at my source code.. you see what a mess it is.

SO, the idea is, to remake.. somehow.. this layout with the "nowadays" <div> things and to look like the PICTURE! also with not putting the CSS in each and every page but just linking to it.

P.S. The layout picture I screencapped from a MS Word document I had it arranged the way I want it to look.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried comparing both the link with the picture but I can not really see the differences.

I suggest that you read and try this tutorial here. There is a link to Part-2 when you finish the Part-1.

I am facing the same issue with you, about not creating many pages with linking to the master page.

So sorry about that I can not help much with it.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The differences really are that, see for example, the black-band-like images for the sections of the menu to the left - on the picture, they fit perfectly, on the page - they have some stupid space around them. that's, of course, because of the cellpadding thing, but if I set it to 0, everything screws up, including the text in the main table that I do need some cellpadding space for, otherwise I have to endlessly paste &nbsp; in front of every line in the <p> in the main table.

I think I'm beginning to really hate tables now. Anyhow..

Thanks, George, I'll try the tutorial later; and everyone, and please, more suggestions are always welcome!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you start playing with divs and css you'll see it's all actually much easier than tables, and certainly less labour-intensive. If you can get a newer copy of dreamweaver it could help you simply because the preview option is better, but in the end you might find it's better just writing the code by hand and constantly checking what it looks like directly in a browser.... to me that's the most effective way of working.

Quote:
because of the cellpadding thing, but if I set it to 0, everything screws up, including the text in the main table that I do need some cellpadding space for, otherwise I have to endlessly paste &nbsp; in front of every line in the <p> in the main table

now see if you were using css for this you'd never need to enter any padding (or god forbid &nbsp's) into the html...... the great thing about css is that one command in the css file controls the look of a certain element in all your html pages, wherever it appears...............
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see. Now I'm going to see what I can do following the tutorial George ponted me to.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

HKt0p5 wrote:
I see. Now I'm going to see what I can do following the tutorial George ponted me to.

Thanks for your appreciation. :)
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome.
I just finished both parts and am still quite confused to begin playing around with the CSS for remaking my site's layout, and I have a lot of questions but I'll save them all for now except one:
Can a page have two headers? And if it can, how do I markup the id-s, #header{stuff} and #header2{stuff}?
For the rest, I'll fight CSS on my own. I hope it grows like this one but it's.. um.. scary a little too though.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

you'll see, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

you can have as many elements as you like - your site could be nothing but headers, if that's what you felt like. the trick is simply this - for every element, make a separate <div>. (a <div> is a block level container, so it will contain whatever element you wish to put inside it - be it a header, a navigation bar, a side menu, a block of text, an image.... or another div. or lots of them. or any of these combined if you want. think of it as a box, a compartment of your page)

I'm guessing that you want the two headers to show on the page simultaneously, one under the other? so in the html you'd make

<div id="headerone">(here insert title, or header image, or menu links, or whatever)</div>
<div id="headertwo">(here insert whatever)</div>
  1. <div id="headerone">(here insert title, or header image, or menu links, or whatever)</div>
  2. <div id="headertwo">(here insert whatever)</div>

then over in the css file, you write:

#headerone {
           position: relative;
           float: left;
           left: 0px;
           top: 0px;
           margin: 0px;
           padding: 0px;
           background-color: #fff;
           background-image: url('images/picture.jpg');
/* that way you don't even have to put the image in the html - you can put it directly into the css, and add text over it in the html) */
           background-repeat: no-repeat;
           width: 780px;
           height: 145px;
}
  1. #headerone {
  2.            position: relative;
  3.            float: left;
  4.            left: 0px;
  5.            top: 0px;
  6.            margin: 0px;
  7.            padding: 0px;
  8.            background-color: #fff;
  9.            background-image: url('images/picture.jpg');
  10. /* that way you don't even have to put the image in the html - you can put it directly into the css, and add text over it in the html) */
  11.            background-repeat: no-repeat;
  12.            width: 780px;
  13.            height: 145px;
  14. }

these are all obviously arbitrary values. you can use the ones you need and throw out the others, and set them to whatever values fit what you want to do. then you do the same for the second header, with whatever values you want it to have. so for instance:

#headertwo {
           position: relative;
           float: left;
           margin-top 12px;
           padding: 0px;
           background-image: url('images/picture.jpg');
           background-repeat: repeat-x;
           width: 780px;
           height: 120px;
}
  1. #headertwo {
  2.            position: relative;
  3.            float: left;
  4.            margin-top 12px;
  5.            padding: 0px;
  6.            background-image: url('images/picture.jpg');
  7.            background-repeat: repeat-x;
  8.            width: 780px;
  9.            height: 120px;
  10. }

etc etc.

I hope that wasn't too confusing an explanation?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts