making phpBB search engine friendly w/o .htaccess? how?

• silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Trapped in the mist of dark desires...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, I just found out that my host is not letting me use the .htaccess of my site, is there another way to make my phpBB more search engine friendly?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, httpd.conf, but your host won't let you at that either.

Ask them. They'll probably let you have it. If they don't, get another bb that works by appending data to html files, and only requires a dynamic page whenreplying to a topic.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or get a hoster that allows you the freedom to do what you need to do to get the job done.

Most of the hosters who don't allow this kind of thing are the hosters who are just being paranoid and worryin constantly about the threat from the "evil nasty hackers", heh. More often than not, I've found those who are most paranoid about it are the ones who are compromised first. :)

But yeah, like rjstephens says, other than using .htaccess with mod_rewrite, about your only option is using something that doesn't use PHP & Sessions. Something that actually creates .html files in a directory (but you're talking pretty old-tech).
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm... its going to be hard to change host... and I dont know how to get my money back now......... darn... I am really stuck here.....

anyways... anyone got any recommendations to where I can rent a server for less than $85 a year and have about 1GB of storage and 3GB of monthly bandwidth? :) That would be great! cus currently, I am using 5gbhosting.com
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've got 1gig of files and only 3Gig/mo of transfer? wow...

My site's hitting about 14-15gig/mo of transfer and only uses like 300Meg...

I'm not sure if you're gonna find it that cheap for that kind of space, not on a good reliable hoster (that gives you the freedom to do what you need to do to make your website as good as it can possibly be). But, maybe that's why you're in the predicament you're in :)

The plan I use is 500Meg, 10Gig/mo, $99.95/yr w/free setup if you pay a year up front. It works out to about $8.33/mo.
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, my site has less than 30megs of stuff. I just want to see whether I can get a better bargain than before :lol: Well, I think I may switch to your plan once I have a chance... and hopefully, I can get my money back... :(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That plan is with http://www.myprohost.com

Service is great, speed is great, uptime is outstanding :)
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

if I cancel my account with my current host, you think I can get part of my money back? :roll: ... just a thought.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's possible, some hosts will refund you - especially if it's for a reason beyond your control and easily within theirs.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts